Complaint Review: Marriott Harbor Beach

• Submitted: Tue, August 21, 2012
  • Updated: Sat, January 19, 2013

• Reported By: Ripped off by Marriott — Dunwoody Georgia United States of America
Marriott Harbor Beach
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida United States of America

Marriott Harbor Beach JEWELRY STOLEN FROM LOCKED IN-ROOM "SAFE" - your belongings are not safe at any Marriott! Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

*UPDATE Employee: Not really fair...

As a former frequent guest and Marriott Rewards member, I was astonished at the treatment I received after someone removed jewelry from a locked in-room "safe" that wasn't secure at all.  I suspect it was a security employee of the hotel who later left their employment.  Upon returning to my room I found the adjoining room door was ajar and the safe was open.  Jewelry had been stolen.  After reporting the incident to management who sent their "security" personnel to rummage through my belongings, filing a police report with the FLPD and contacting Marriott's loss control division, I was told to in so many words "take a hike" that they aren't responsible.

So, they have lost thousands of dollars in business travel stays and I have told everyone I know about my experience.  Too bad, because Bill Marriott, the founder, seems like an upstanding man.  I now stay anywhere but Marriott!  They hid behind an outdated "inkeepers law" that probably wouldn't stand up in court, today.  I could not afford to take the time off or the travel expense to fight them in a Florida court.  I can; however, warn other travelers to never leave anything of value in a Marriott room.  The safe shouldn't be there if it isn't a "safe" place.  They also lied and said their staff doesn't have access to the safe - we all know there is an override code.  Marriott guests beware - you are on your own when it comes to being responsible for your valuables.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/21/2012 12:40 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Marriott-Harbor-Beach/Ft-Lauderdale-Florida-/Marriott-Harbor-Beach-JEWELRY-STOLEN-FROM-LOCKED-IN-ROOM-SAFE-your-belongings-are-not-930199. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Marriott Harbor Beach

Not really fair...

AUTHOR: AF - (United States of America)

To assume that your belongings are not safe at ANY Marriott property. As an employee of the Marriott Corporation for over 6 years, it is unfair of you to lump every Marriott into this category. I agree that the Marriott you stayed at did not follow any kind of good procedure and I am extremely sorry for what happened to you. This could happen at ANY hotel you chose to stay at, no matter the brand.

As a rewards member, there are so many channels for you to go through besides dealing with JUST the property and those who manage it. The employees should definitely have been more sympathetic with you, as we have almost all been a victim of theft at some point in our lives. They were very much in the wrong there.

Just some advice: Most (corporate owned anyway) Marriotts will have not only in-room safes, but saftey deposit boxes (usually at no charge to you) at the front desk. There are only two keys to each safety deposit boxes: the master key, and the guests key. Employees CANNOT open the safety deposit boxes without the guests key (and also cannot without the guest present).

Again, I am so sorry that this one shoddy-run Marriott ruined your view of our business. I do hope that sometime in the future you will return to our hotels and experience the kind of service you are entitled to.