Complaint Review: Marriott Hotels

• Updated: Wed, July 18, 2012

• Reported By: Betty — Mobile United States of America
Marriott Hotels
821 20th Street Birmingham, Alabama United States of America

Marriott Hotels Residence Inn, Corporate Best Price lies - false advertising & statements Birmingham, Alabama

Called the corporate number at Marriott to check prices at Residence Inn in downtown Birmingham.   I got the price and then stated that I was going to price around to other hotels and would call them back.  The woman on the phone told me that if we book now, they offer best price.  Therefore, if we shop around and find a better price, they will match it, PLUS 25% off.  That sounded great to me so I went ahead and booked it.  I priced around and found a better deal at Drury Inn, for $89 per night and the same amenities.  (Drury is very nice and we usually stay there but wanted to be closer to downtown on this trip).       The woman gave me told me that if I found the cheaper rate to call 800-771-5665.  I did so and another lady got my call.  She said her name was Sherry.  I told her that I found a cheaper rate and she said, "Okay, which Marriott did you find the cheaper rate at?"  I explained that it was the Drury Inn and she told me that this only applies if you can find a cheaper rate at Marriott!   I told her what the other woman told me, and that even their own recording while I was waiting for her to pic up says over and over that they have the 'best price matching'.  She said, "I don't believe that the tape said that!  We only offer best price matching with ourselves!"       So, in other words, all their computers are linked and the person who is doing the reservations can see all the prices.  So the reality is, THERE IS NO PRICE MATCH!  You will never find a lower price because they don't match prices of other hotels and they keep a bottom line in their system.       Basically, the first woman lied to me and deceived me into making the reservation with them.  We decided to go back to the Drury Inn.  It's worth the 15 minute drive into town!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/18/2012 12:08 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Marriott-Hotels/Birmingham-Alabama-35205/Marriott-Hotels-Residence-Inn-Corporate-Best-Price-lies-false-advertising-statements-913907. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Marriott Hotels