Complaint Review: Marriott Vacation Club International

• Submitted: Thu, February 07, 2013
  • Updated: Fri, January 31, 2014

• Reported By: Alejandro — Seattle Washington United States of America
Marriott Vacation Club International

Marriott Vacation Club International MVCI MVC will tell buying their time shares is good investment is not! Internet

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: Timeshare Scam

*Author of original report: Marriott does not comment on the buyback price

*Consumer Comment: Marriott Timeshare Sales Agreement

*General Comment: Buy Back Price

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Marriott Vacations Earns 96% Owner Satisfaction

On 2010 I bought tow weeks of timeshare at Marriott Freshaman Cove in Saint Thomas.
This was one of the most stupid things I have ever done, if not the most. They convinced me that it was a great investment and if I didn't use the weeks I could deposit them in Interval International, Marriott Vacation Club points or Marriott Rewards with great benneffit to me and may family.

The results were:
Interval or MVCI points are very hard to use. I have a gold property and there are still many blackout dates, and even if you work around them you need to know one year ahead when you'll have time for vacations and if you are lucky you'll get the resort you want.
The transfer to Marriott Rewards points is not better.  The amount of money I pay yearly for maintenance fees will buy more hotel time than the points I get for each week.

So I have been subsidizing Marriott for 4 years now, and I got tired, I spent a good part of our savings >40K on this stupid adventure and I want to cut my losses, and stop paying maintenance fees. So I contacted Marriott to sell my weeks back (no one else wants them, and I don't blame them). They are offering 2650 per week for a grand total of 5300. - 250 procesing fee per week 4800.

I am taking this money because I want to get the hell far from this property and Marriott in general, but these numbers should tell you how much Marriott charges for this timeshares and how much it really values. The cherry to the cake is that they want to charge about 2500 on maintenance fees for this year so I will really recover only 2300 from the original >40000 I paid.

Marriott will promise you the world and deliver hell, service was bad, booking was bad and their re-sale offer was laughable, but I have no choice, I don't have the money to keep paying this fees.

I would advice stay the hell out from Marriott time shares they sell them at price of gold, but they value them as price of garbage. This is an elaborate scam to get money from people that work hard to pay their vacations, offer them shinny objects and deliver nothing.

I am disappointed at Marriott by its total lack of moral backbone and sense of right and wrong and abusing me and so many other people in the same situation, and I am disappointed at myself for buying their lies.

Never, never, ever buy a time share they are a scam, specially if the parent company is Marriott

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/07/2013 12:30 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Marriott-Vacation-Club-International/internet/Marriott-Vacation-Club-International-MVCI-MVC-will-tell-buying-their-time-shares-is-good-i-1010432. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Marriott Vacation Club International

#1 REBUTTAL Individual responds

Timeshare Scam

AUTHOR: Jennifer Williams - ()

Vacations are a good opportunity to get out of the busy daily life and to spend quality time with our beloved ones, however, with the struggling economy; it is every time more difficult to find a destination that fits our budget and meet our needs.  In the effort to find economical ways to travel, fractional ownerships appear as an attractive vacation option.

Marriott does not comment on the buyback price

AUTHOR: alewolf - ()

The only reason Marriott does not respond to the question of the buyback price of their property is because they will skin you on it and pay only a small fraction of the original price, there is not two ways about it. This is a scam because the buyback price is what really tells you how much they are willing to pay for their property and is not even 15% of what they sell for.

Please Marriott, if you answer this rebutal tell us what is the average buyback price for your properties and what is the avergae sell price. Also how many rewards point is a Marriott room night now compared to 5 years or 10 years ago, becuase my Marriott Rewards point (per week exchanged) have not changed at the same rate.

(Yes I have not find anyone willing to buy my property at a reasonable price)

Marriott Timeshare Sales Agreement

AUTHOR: BetzabethT - ()

A Marriott timeshare sales agreement is the contract that you get at the moment you purchase a fractional ownership. Most timeshare companies make them long and difficult to understand, so the buyer doesn’t know well what he is getting into, and the terms and conditions are especially made to benefit the resort, but not the owner. The timeshare sales agreement gives you the right to use the resort, during a certain number of years, for a specific number of weeks. That means that the developer still owns the resort, so your interest would not be considered as real estate. Also, it is very likely that most of the verbal promises told during the presentation are not in the contract, and many of the agreements have no cancellation policy.

#4 General Comment

Buy Back Price

AUTHOR: hinapsan - ()

I would like Marriott Vacation Club to please comment on the original poster's claim that Marriott is willing to buy back the timeshares only a small fraction of the original price.

#5 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Marriott Vacations Earns 96% Owner Satisfaction

AUTHOR: Marriott Vacations Worldwide - (United States of America)

While we are sorry to hear of this individual's frustration in securing reservations, our Owners consistently rate Marriott Vacations Worldwide at 96% satisfaction year after year.  Our partners at Interval International are also able to confirm more than 90% of the first choice reservation requests they receive.  While there will always be exceptions such as holiday weeks or weeks at resorts where owners pay a premium to own fixed vacation weeks, the program offers a lot of flexibility to trade for Marriott Reward points, exchange through Interval International or select from hundreds of Explorer vacation options.   While a guest can always stay at a hotel, our resorts offer 1, 2 and 3 bedroom luxury villas.  We encourage anyone who is having a problem securing a reservation to contact our customer care team at 800 936 6824 or via email at customer.care@vacationclub.com so that we can personally assist them.