Complaint Review: Marten Transport

• Submitted: Thu, June 04, 2009
  • Updated: Thu, December 10, 2009

• Reported By:Lakeland Tennessee
Marten Transport
129 Marten Street, Mondovi, Wisconsin U.S.A.

Marten Transport ADVICE: DO NOT WORK FOR MARTEN TRANSPORT Mondovi Wisconsin

*UPDATE Employee: Contradictions in your report

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Heartless, Unethical, Underhanded

Marten Transport is a cold and calulating company. If you make a mistake they will do everthing they can to ruin your trucking career. In orenitation I was told about how much trouble Marten had been in with the DOT.

Martens safety record was very poor, in the 90's. They do not have scale pre pass in their trucks, you must pull into every scale. I was told in orenitation that not long ago every Marten truck was stopped for a Level one inspection.

I believe for this reason, if you make any safety error they will overstate the incident, classify it as accident and place negavitive information on your DAC report that make's it impossible to get another Truck Driver job.

I believe they do this in an attempt to try to improve their own poor safety record with the DOT. i.e. " LOOK WHAT WE ARE DOING NOW ". The cold hearted machines that work in safety and human resourses do not care about you, your family and the need to support your wife and children.

During my new hire 30 day probationary period, I scuffed a trailer at a truck stop, prompty reported it and was promplty fired. Marten placed : Struck a park vehicle" and "Unsatisfactory Safety Record" on my DAC.

I was informed by a recruiter that Marten has "Black Balled" me and that no company will touch me with that report on my record. There was no damage on the trailer that I bumped and no injuries or citation's by the police.

Marten takes great pleasure in overstating incidents on your DAC report like a power trip, knowing there is NOTHING you can do it have these vague reports removed.

If you go to work for Marten Transport, and make a mistake, however minor, you are placing your Driving Career and ability to support your family in THEIR HAND'S. Warning these are "Vindictive and Unreasonable Hands".

Marten left me and my mentally handicap son stranded in Portland OR. 2038 miles from our home. The expense and time to get home $600.00 and three days, with a mentally retarded son. Not a family friendly group of people!!!

All due to a scuffed trailer, I can't get another job. Like G.M. i'm left Bankrupped. You DO NOT WANT TO DRIVE FOR THESE HEARTLESS DRONES.

Joe
Lakeland, Tennessee

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/04/2009 08:14 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Marten-Transport/Mondovi-Wisconsin-54755/Marten-Transport-ADVICE-DO-NOT-WORK-FOR-MARTEN-TRANSPORT-Mondovi-Wisconsin-458459. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Marten Transport

Contradictions in your report

AUTHOR: Deborah - (U.S.A.)

You start out by claiming you scuffed a parked trailer at a truck stop.  Then you say there was no damage.  Then you say again you scuffed the trailer.  Which is it?

Yes, Marten is strict about safety, and not by choice.  When the SAFER score shot from the low 40's to 99 in less than a year, largely due to new hires, USDOT stepped in, and a lot of us drivers threatened to quit if Marten didn't take action.  The new rule is ANY preventable accident in the first 12 months of employment results in automatic termination, no exceptions.  I've seen drivers have preventable accidents, in the terminals, within 30 minutes of getting their keys out of orientation, two hitting my truck (which was parked).  It got to the point many of us avoided the terminals on Thursday afternoons and Friday mornings.

Your accident was within 30 days of hire, which is where "Unsatisfactory Safety Record" comes in (a violation of company safety policies).  You admit you hit a parked vehicle, which is where "Hit Parked Vehicle" comes in.  This, according to what you wrote, appears fairly accurate.  Did Marten assign a dollar value to the damage on the report (most carriers do)?

I feel for your situation, having a special needs child as a passenger with you when you got fired.  But, that is not Marten's problem, it was your choice to have your son with you.  You should ALWAYS have a plan to get your passenger home (or another safe place) in the event of ANY emergency situation (what if you had been injured in a non-preventable, and could not travel or care for your son for weeks?).

Most trucking companies, including Marten, will get you a bus ticket home.  I know of none who will pay to get your passenger, a non-employee, home, regardless of the situation.  Sorry, that's just an industry reality, one you need to plan for in the future.  When I have passengers in the truck, before they get in for the first time, I always make sure I have a plan, and the resources available, to get them home from anywhere if something comes up.  It's a problem the industry as a whole needs to address, for a number of reasons.

I've personally been effected by false or malicious USIS/DAC reports by former employers.  I do not see how, based on what you have stated, what Marten placed on your USIS/DAC report qualifies as either.  In this economy, where drivers are a "dime-a-dozen" do to a surplus of drivers, this one's going to hurt you for a while.  When the economy picks back up, you'll get another job.  Take the lessons learned from this last one, and apply them to the next (ie; get out and look, have a plan for anything, etc).

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

AUTHOR: J - (U.S.A.)

The same things happened to me. I have driven commcercially since 1985 and had a minor incident in a parking lot. After nerly a year of employment with Marten they fired me after adding up a number of different bogus points on their scale. They slammed my DAC report so now I have to look for work outside of OTR trucking. They will appeal your unemployment so not only are you out of a job but you cannot even pay your bills until you find another job and they slam your DAC to prevent you from obatining gainful employment. Avoid working for this company because they are unethincal.

#3 UPDATE EX-employee responds