Complaint Review: Mary And Dave Hanby

• Submitted: Mon, February 20, 2006
  • Updated: Wed, August 18, 2010

• Reported By:Claymore Georgia
Mary And Dave Hanby
9295 Hawksclaw Road Morganton, Georgia U.S.A.

Mary And Dave Hanby, Valhalla Farms Horse trading thieves Ripoff Morganton Georgia

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: Percheron gelding returned in poor condition!

*Consumer Comment: Happy Horse purchase from Hanby,s

*Consumer Suggestion: Yes, we tried the horse out

*Consumer Suggestion: Did you try before you buy?

Don't let these two white trash horse traders steal your money and get you hurt in the process. Mary Hanby and the meat puppet she calls her husband, Dave, sold me a horse she swore was beginner safe for my beginning rider husband. She wrote pages about what a great horse he was. She comes off as very sincere, and very concerned about where the horse will go, but it's all an act. My husband and I made a five hour trip to see the horse because of how well trained she said he was. Only after we got there did she tell me he hadn't been ridden for almost a year! I should have known she didn't know jack crap about horses, because she put a saddle on him that was obviously too small and it took the both of them to tack him up. His bridle and bit might as well not even been on for as loose as it was. Very long story short - the horse took 2 hours to load after she told me he had no loading issues, and he ended up putting my husband in the hospital after taking the bit in his teeth and running off with him. To add insult to injury, after agreeing to take the horse back and pay the shipping bill, she steals $300 out of my refund to pay the shipper before she gives it to me. She then starts this insane screeching that she never said she would pay this shipping bill (even after I showed her the email where she said she would). She obviously has no conscience, no sense of morality, lies like a rug, and is completely insane. Her husband Dave is a big p***y who won't look you in the eye. He'll just follow around behind her yelling some kind of mumbling garbage. Beware of these two backwoods hillbilly thieves.

Mary Hanby is a ####
****, Georgia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/20/2006 09:16 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Mary-And-Dave-Hanby/Morganton-Georgia-30560/Mary-And-Dave-Hanby-Valhalla-Farms-Horse-trading-thieves-Ripoff-Morganton-Georgia-177130. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Mary And Dave Hanby

#1 REBUTTAL Individual responds

Percheron gelding returned in poor condition!

AUTHOR: mary hanby - (United States of America)

I  advertised an 8 year old Percheron gelding in Dreamhorse.com as husband-safe in 2005 for $5500.  He had been my personal trail horse for five years.  Michelle Wells contacted me in 2005 and made two apointments.  She was a no-call, no-show.  One year later she contacted me to see if the horse was still available but she only had $3800. I also told her the horse had not been ridden much the past year.  She drove from  Aiken, S.C. to Morganton, Ga. by herself to see the horse.   We agreed on the $3800 with "return privileges" which was clearly explained that she would have to pay shipping both ways.  She offered $3500 with "no return privileges".  We agreed.  I was emphatic that the horse needed conditioning before riding. Weeks later she called me screaming at me to come get my horse in Aiken.  I was very careful how I worded my emails to her regarding his return as I said "we would take care of the transporter at this end" meant we would call and set a date....not pay the bill. My horse was returned to me with three broken teeth, over 200 lost pounds, four torn up hooves and his leather bridle was returned wet and broken in four places.  She had bit clips on the bit and likely it was not properly sized when she tacked him.  I don't know what type of saddle they used but he loved his Wintec Endurance 9 lb. saddle. She said he ran to the barn.  Bruce Wells is a very large and very tall man.  Chubbie never carried that much weight before.

I am not a horse trader.  Chubbie is the first horse I have ever attempted to sell.  All of our horses are personal horses.  We do not buy and sell horses.  We had eight neighbors present when I gave Michelle $3200 in cash and paid the transporter his $300 in cash.   We did not have to take the horse back or give her a refund.  We are honest and forthright people who have rescued about 25 good horses and gave them to new owners without one complaint.

Happy Horse purchase from Hanby,s

AUTHOR: happy customer - (United States of America)

I purchased a quarter horse from these same people in 2007. She was just the horse they said she was. They were quite honest with me from the start,told me the horse had not been ridden in almost two years and that she needed to have some retraining for about two to three weeks . I took the advise had a trainer work the horse for three weeks . She has been a great horse ever since. I found these people to be very nice horse savy people.  I told a friend of mine about them and she also bought a little Paso Fino horse, she has had the horse for two an a half years,she found the Hanby,s to be honest with her as well. I guess from reading your report that the Handy,s returned the money you paided them for the horse less the returning fees. Be glad you got that they did not have to take the horse back!!!!!!!!!!!

HAPPY HORSE PURCHASER

#3 Consumer Suggestion

Yes, we tried the horse out

AUTHOR: Q17 - (U.S.A.)

Thank you for your suggestion, but yes, we tried "Chubby" out. Mary rode him first, but since they live in the mountains, she said there was nowhere suitable to ride him except in the round pen. She had some trouble getting him to move off. I rode him, and I had the same difficulty. But, I figured it was better that he was too slow rather than too fast. In hindsight, there were warning signs, but I was too trusting. Their "professional" demeanor deteriorates really quickly once things start to go bad. I was finally able to find an honest horse person who hooked me up with a wonderful TWH that my husband loves, and rides with no problem. Buyer beware when it comes to Mary & Dave.

#4 Consumer Suggestion

Did you try before you buy?

AUTHOR: S. Register - (U.S.A.)

"the horse took 2 hours to load after she told me he had no loading issues, and he ended up putting my husband in the hospital after taking the bit in his teeth and running off with him."

It would better serve you in the future if, when after driving 5 hours to see a horse, you have the owner (or someone on site) ride the horse first, then have your husband (or yourself since your husband is/was a beginner rider) ride the horse BEFORE agreeing to purchase the horse.

I do not know these people personally, but I have been to their farm before, and I must say that the impression I received from these people is far different than what is portrayed here. I have found both of them to be sincere and considerate, and when questions were raised about clarification of something, they were quite friendly and professional.

However, from one horseperson to another, please consider my advice for future purposes. You never ever buy a riding horse without yourself (or the rider the horse is for) riding it before purchasing.