Complaint Review: Maryland State Central Collection Unit

• Updated: Fri, December 30, 2011

• Reported By: C.A.T. — Connecticut United States of America
Maryland State Central Collection Unit
300 west preston street Baltimore, Maryland United States of America

Maryland State Central Collection Unit MVA Insurance Lapse notice for 6000 dollars requesting immediate payment Baltimore, Maryland

State of Maryland Central Collection Unit sent me a notice that I need to pay close to 6000 dollars because of "MVA insurance default". You can barely read the notice, it looks like a carbon copy. It first lloked like a scam.
 I have left Maryland 12 years ago, was always up to date with my insurance, and always returned my tags. However it is hard to find my documents from that time. A Google search shows that they did this to hundreds of people, at least two on this site. Some records state that you haggle with an officer on the other end of the line and finally settle on few hundred dollars. This is a government scam. They must know that very few people keep their documents for such a long time, that you have to apparently pay 150 dollars to go to court barring lawyer fees, and go to Baltimore for the court! I did not call them yet. I am waiting to calm down. There should be statue of limitations on government fines. In any case this one is frivilous!

My guess is State has a contractor doing this. But what do you do against a state government scam? I paid them all my taxes while living there honestly. Now, I am so sorry. I guess I should have cheated them.

My hope is that finally there will be a class action suit, that they have to settle for such a large sum that no State government can do something like this again!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/30/2011 04:59 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Maryland-State-Central-Collection-Unit/Baltimore-Maryland-21201/Maryland-State-Central-Collection-Unit-MVA-Insurance-Lapse-notice-for-6000-dollars-reques-816033. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Maryland State Central Collection Unit