Complaint Review: Massage Envy

Massage Envy
Carlsbad, California USA

Massage Envy BEWARE - RIPOFF!!!! Carlsbad California

*Consumer Comment: comment

I joined Massage Envy in Oceanside as a Member in January, 2007 and moved out of the area to Anaheim, California in June 2009. At which time I attempted to cancel my Membership and was told I had thirty (30) days to use all of my prepaid visits which could only be used at the Oceanside location and I could not transfer or give away any of my prepaid visits.

It has been extremely difficult for me to drive out to Oceanside and I have been forced to continue paying the monthly Membership of $59.00 which just went up to $59.99 without any notification of an increased fee per month to maintain my Membership in order not to lose all the Prepaids I already had on file.

I have spoken to staff numerous times expressing my difficulty with maintaining Membership trying to resolve this problem and continued to receive the same response, I had to cancel my Membership in writing and would have thirty (30) days to use all my prepaid visits. Which is impossible!!
Finally, I was told I could use another location and just recently was told that I can transfer my prepaid visits for a fee of $10.00 per visit.

It has now been five (5) years and I currently have over fifty (50) prepaid visits totaling over $3,000.00  If I had been given these options back in June of 2009, I would have never accumulated this many prepaid visits.

I sent them a certified Letter addressing this issue and got no response and they hit my account again for $59.99. When I contacted them by phone and spoke to Janae, First, I was told I only had 13 Prepaids and after disputing that I had 52 Prepaids and had a Printout from them evidencing that, they finally agreed and credited my account. Then, she told me they would give me Gift Cards for all the Prepaids (which is an additional $10 for each Prepaid) which I declined. Then Janae, told me to do whatever I had to do. This is a RIPOFF!!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/25/2014 01:28 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Massage-Envy/Carlsbad-California/Massage-Envy-BEWARE-RIPOFF-Carlsbad-California-1157440. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Massage Envy

AUTHOR: Jeanski - ()

Personally, I've enjoyed the ME near where I live, but I've always resisted the sales pitch for the membership.  If you read the terms and conditions, there is this line:

"Any unused services will expire should you elect to cancel or not to renew your membership."

Why are you surprised?

I'm willing to bet you didn't read the contract in full, and/or skipped over this part.