Complaint Review: Massage Envy

• Reported By: SDMom — San Diego California United States of America
Massage Envy
9420-C Mira Mesa Blvd, San Diego, California Internet United States of America

Massage Envy - San Diego/Mira Mesa Unethical Business Practices Internet

I have to say that I thought it was an amazing deal to go in and get a one hour massage for $49.  After the massage (which was the last good massage I received from them), they hit me up hard to sign a ONE year contract with them.  I am half asleep at the time and assume that they are telling me everything that I was signing and initialing.  The ONLY thing they failed to mention to me was that the membership was AUTO RENEWING.  Nearing the end of the year, my husband (now ex) cancelled my credit cards.  I received one phone call from them saying my credit card was not working.  I thought it was fine because my membership was over, after all, it was already one year.  Three months later I received a message from them stating, "We haven't seen you in a while, please come in, we'd love to work something out with you."  I was thinking...they really need their customers back and they wanted to cut me a deal, but since I am now a single mom with no job, I couldn't afford to get a massage even at a discount.  A couple months later I get a phone call from a COLLECTION AGENCY.  Massage Envy never once told me I owed them money, they never told me my membership renewed, they never once sent me a bill via mail or e-mail.  I didn't even know I was accruing debt.  Now Massage Envy claims they can't "access" my acount because they have remitted it to the collection agency.  However, I am not even sure it was legal for them to do it by California state law.  Either way, they business practices are unethical.  Plus, when I was a member and going on a monthly basis, I spoke with several massage therapists who stated they only earned $16-20 per massage from Massage Envy, the rest is from gratuity.  I ALWAYS tipped them at least $20.  I was a good customer and appreciated all the massages even if some of them weren't very good, but they treat their customers this way???  Google Massage Envy Lawsuit or Massage Envy Sucks before signing a contract or even going in there.  They make it next to impossible to get out of your contract without paying out the nose first!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/17/2010 07:42 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Massage-Envy/internet/Massage-Envy-San-DiegoMira-Mesa-Unethical-Business-Practices-Internet-582297. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Massage Envy