Complaint Review: Massage Heights

• Updated: Thu, January 05, 2012

• Reported By: Cate — Clive Iowa United States of America
Massage Heights
640 S. 50th Street, Suite 1130 West Des Moines, Iowa United States of America

Massage Heights - West Des Moines, IA DECEPTIVE CONTACTS - BEWARE West Des Moines, Iowa

*Author of original report: INCORRECT

*UPDATE Employee: Company Rebuttal

Upon reviewing our year-end bank statements yesterday, I realized we were being charged by Massage Height even though I knew I had canceled my husbands and my membership 17 months ago. Upon further inspection, I saw that I had been charged for the past 17 months even though no services were rendered.

I called the Massage Heights location in WDM, Iowa where we had signed up. They confirmed that my husband's and my membership were closed in September of 2010. I was told to take in our bank statements and they would remove the charges. I gathered the statements and went to their office. With further discussions, we learned that the withdrawals were due to a 6-month Valentine gift I had purchased for my

adult daughter.

I had initialed a statement on that contract authorizing automatic withdrawals. I had understood that to mean automatic bank withdrawals for that 6 month period. However, I was now informed that it was for CONTINUAL withdrawals. This is a very deceptive practice.

This special agreement was sold to me as a valentine special. I was told it was different than their ongoing membership. It stated at the top of the page "6 Month Membership". My intention was to only buy 6 monthly massages as stated at the top of the document. My daughter utilized the 6 massages as I had intended. However, my bank account continued to be charged for the next 17 months even though no services were rendered during this period of time. They charged me $679.83 for nothing!

I realize that I initial the clause on the contract that authorized automatic withdrawals from my bank account. However, when I purchased this gift, I was very clear about not wanting any type of long-term commitment and only wanting to purchase 6 massages. I was misled to believe this contract was for only 6 massages.  In our situation, I bought the gift, my husband was balancing our account, and my adult daughter was not living with us so we were all unaware of what was happening. A gift that was supposed to cost $240 ended up costing me $920!

I would strongly advise against using Massage Heights. The massages are mediocre, at best. Just when you find a therapist who is adequate, they leave and then you have to start over and experiment until you find someone else who will do a reasonable job. If you want a quality massage, I recommend you get a personal recommendation of someone you trust. DONT GET TIED INTO THESE ENDLESS CONTRACTS!

Massage Heights contracts are deceptive and their staffs only motivation is to generate income. If you decided to enter into a contract with Massage Heights, READ EVERY WORD AND MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT IT MEANS! Their contracts are designed to bind you into endless payments. If I had not discovered these withdrawals, they would have continued to take $39.99 from my account every month FOREVER!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/30/2011 06:25 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Massage-Heights/West-Des-Moines-Iowa-50265/Massage-Heights-West-Des-Moines-IA-DECEPTIVE-CONTACTS-BEWARE-West-Des-Moines-Iowa-816070. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Massage Heights

INCORRECT

AUTHOR: Cate - (United States of America)

The Massage Height claim is INCORRECT. The contract that I purchased for my daughter clearly stated across the top that it was a "6 Month Contract". The memberships that I had purchased for my husband and myself months earlier did not. The woman who sold me this gift said it was a special they were offering for valentines gifts. It was a unique opportunity to purchase only 6 massages.

Company Rebuttal

AUTHOR: Massage Heights - (United States of America)

The contract the client completed for her daughter was the same contract she signed, and agreed to, for herself and her husband. The wording did not change.

As with all Massage Heights members, Cathy, her daughter and her husband have the ability to go to ANY Massage Heights retreat to utilize massage credits.  Just because we did not see her come to our specific retreat does not mean that she was not taking advantage of her membership.

We do not want anyone to overlook what is stated in the contract, which is why we have front desk staff walk the client through the agreement, and initial certain sections to ensure they agree to, and acknowledge, the terms.  In some cases, the client chooses to pay for their membership in full, and declines the auto-renew following the initial contract term.

We simply followed through we the exact membership contract that was signed for and agreed upon.