Complaint Review: Mavis Discount Tire

• Updated: Wed, November 28, 2012

• Reported By: Former Customer — Latham New York United States of America
Mavis Discount Tire
745 Loudon Rd Latham, New York United States of America

Mavis Discount Tire Mavis, Mavis Tire inflated invoice, rising prices, price more than quote Latham, New York

*Author of original report: Thanks, but it's too late

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Let us make it right!

I went to this shop to purchase two new tires, having been there before a few times. I found the tires I wanted and before the work started, had them tell me what the total completed cost would be, and I was quoted $228, and I signed the work order. My car was worked on in the bay right by the window and visible from where I sat in the waiting room.

My car was driven into the service are almost immediately, the hood was raised, and the vehicle was lifted and all four tires were removed. Then it sat for nearly an hour, after which a tech visually checked my brakes and then mounted the new tires on the front, and replaced the rear wheels on the back.

Shortly thereafter, he backed the car out so I approached the service desk. The employee there entered my info into the computer from the work order and then stated the total amount due as $268! I asked how it got so high, and without saying anything, he took the work order out into the service area and talked to someone out there. As he picked it up off the counter, I saw that someone had hand written in pen on the work order "flush brake fluid" and "flush power steering".

He came back in and with no explanation at all, readjusted the invoice and then stated the new total of $225!

I know that neither service was performed. When I got home, I looked under the hood and there was no evidence of either the power steering reservoir cap or brake fluid reservoir having been touched. No disturbance to the under-hood grime, no fluid drips anywhere or evidence of having been touched at all.

If I had not been paying attention, I would have been overcharged by $40. Normally I would say, well it is possible that there was just a miscommunication, but during the hour I sat waiting, I witnessed quoted prices rising substantially with additional services/suggested needs top nearly every customer who came into the shop.

You have to watch everything and be on top of every charge when you go to this business.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/19/2011 01:38 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Mavis-Discount-Tire/Latham-New-York-12110/Mavis-Discount-Tire-Mavis-Mavis-Tire-inflated-invoice-rising-prices-price-more-than-quo-811390. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Mavis Discount Tire

Thanks, but it's too late

AUTHOR: Former Customer - (United States of America)

I wish I could trust you local shop, but what I've seen there more than once prevents that.

This past week, I bought 4 tires from Pep Boys. I went online, chose my tires, including exactly the service options I wanted, and got the exact price it would cost me for everything. I paid with a credit card and scheduled my appointment, and even filled out info about the car on the work order. I printed it out to take to my appointment.

When I arrived, I handed my keys and the work order to the service manager, he made out a store work order, said to give him an hour, and they went to work. 40 minutes later, my car was finished, and for the exact price I had been quoted on line, no BS or pressure to buy anything  else at all.

This is a business model you should consider.

#2 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Let us make it right!

AUTHOR: Mavis Discount Tire - (United States of America)

Mavis Discount Tire is committed to delivering the best possible customer service and we apologize for the unsatisfactory experience.  Please allow us the opportunity to help resolve this matter to your satisfaction.  Please email Customer Relations at maviscustomercare@mavistire.com or call Alexa at 914-984-2500 ext 5000.  We look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,