Complaint Review: Maxie Price Chev Olds Inc

• Updated: Fri, February 22, 2013

• Reported By: AnthonyJ — Athens Georgia United States of America
Maxie Price Chev Olds Inc
3600 Hwy 78 Loganville, Georgia United States of America

Maxie Price Chev Olds Inc Maxie Price Chevrolet Failed to repair SRS system as contractually agreed until lawsuite threatened Loganville, Georgia

In August 2009 I purchased a 2006 Mercedes 280C with Approximately 37,000 miles on it from Maxie Price Chevrolet in Loganville GA.  The big sign in the window of the car when I first looked at it indicated it was a "Certified Used Vehicle".

Upon further inspection it turns out Certified Used Vehicle to Maxi Price Chevrolet simply means they washed the car, topped off the fluids, change the air filter, rotated the bald tires and change the oil.

They are also supposedly conduct a 117 point inspection of the vehicle although no paperwork was ever provided which indicated this inspection ever been completed.

Upon starting of the car for the first time I noticed the supplemental restraint system(SRS) light on the dash came on and did not go off. My immediate question to the sales person, Kathy Franks(who was also a finance manager or so she said) was if this car have been through an inspection and was certified why is SRS light on. She didnt know but said the car was still under factory warranty and that whatever was wrong could be fixed by Mercedes.

On that particular day I ended up walking away from the dealership because we couldn't come to terms on price.  About a week later(2nd to last day of the month) I received a call from a sales person telling me they were now ready to deal.  We compromised on a fair price and I bought the car.

As part of the deal I made them right one of those "We Owe" attachments that clearly stated if the SRS repair was not covered by the Mercedes-Benz factory warranty then Maxi Price Chevrolet would be responsible for repairing the system.

The following day I took the car to the service department of my local Mercedes dealership.They immediately identified the problem. Apparently at some point in the past a Coke or other highly acidic soft drink product had been spilled in the backseat.

This spill was never properly cleaned up and over time corroded the SRS mechanism located under the backseat.  The entire mechanism needed to be replaced. This type of repair what obviously not be covered under warranty.  Parts and labor cost were estimated at approximately $1000.

Armed with my report from Mercedes I called Maxi Price Chevrolet and left a message with the salesperson/finance manager to please call me to discuss the inspection results and to make arrangements for them to repair the car.  She never returned my phone call or any of my subsequent phone calls over the next week.

I next reached out to her boss, the sales manager for the dealership, who promptly told me he had reviewed my contract and they have made no such agreement to repair yes SRS system.  You can probably see where this was headed. They had no intention of repairing or paying for the repair.

I next sat down and wrote a very carefully worded letter to Mr. Maxie Price owner of the dealership.The letter simply indicated they were in breach of contract and that I was going to pursue legal action to force them to remedy the situation. I sent this letter via certified mail copying both the sales manager and the sales person/finance manager.

I received a phone call the following morning from Mr. Price. He was very cordial.  We discussed the situation at length. He told me the salesperson/finance manager had no authority to write or sign the We Owe agreement. He also indicated they did not have a copy of the We Owe agreement in my file.

I told Mr. Price that his salesperson/finance manager was the only person I dealt with at the dealership and that she passed herself off as member of his management staff. I also told him that I was fully prepared to go to court and let a judge determine whether or not a fraud perpetrated and if they owed me the repair services in question.

Mr. Price asked me to send him a copy of the We Owe document.  If the salesperson/finance manager had indeed written it they would honor the agreement and repair the SRS system.  I scanned and emailed Mr. Price a copy of the agreement. 10 minutes later he called me and told me to bring the car and they would repair the system.  He didn't sound happy.

You can draw your own conclusions as to what happened to the dealership copy of the We Owe agreement.

Ultimately the Maxi Price Chevrolet service department could not fix the SRS system.  They had to take it to my local Mercedes dealership where the work was performed.  They actually tried to get me to pay Mercedes and then they would reimburse me. No chance. They had to run one of their service guys over with the check for over $1000 to cover the repair.

Although this ultimately ended the way it should have with Maxie Price paying for the repair it was a very bad experience from a customer perspective.  I will never do business with this dealership again and have told everyone I know the story so they can steer clear of this dealership.

The one lesson to take away from my experience is always get it in writing and don't trust what anyone dealership says. In the end only paperwork stands up in court.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/22/2013 07:50 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Maxie-Price-Chev-Olds-Inc/Loganville-Georgia-/Maxie-Price-Chev-Olds-Inc-Maxie-Price-Chevrolet-Failed-to-repair-SRS-system-as-contractual-1018510. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Maxie Price Chev Olds Inc