Complaint Review: Maximum Fitness

• Submitted: Wed, October 01, 2008
  • Updated: Wed, October 01, 2008

• Reported By:Hampton Virginia
Maximum Fitness
59 North Plank Rd. Newburgh, New York U.S.A.

Maximum Fitness Theft and scam Newburgh New York

I attended this gym two years ago. The membership was $38 a month and there was at least a six month commitment. I fulfilled my commitment, in fact, I attended for 8 months, paying month by month with an auto-debit so my payments were always on time. I was moving at the end of 2007 so the manager, Frank, told me to write up a letter of resignation. I did so. He said he would have to charge me for that month and I wouldn't be charged any more afterwards. About two months later, that checking account was charged $20 sending me into an overdraft as I was about to close with a 0 balance. I called the gym and they couldn't tell me why they charged it but that it had to be "a glitch in the billing system." They would not refund the money. Now as the monthly fee was $38, this was really fishy. At the beginning of 2008 i received threatening phone calls from a collection agency. Now this gym wants $318 that I do not owe them. I think it's kind of weird how the gym didn't call me. Instead they hired a collection agency to do it. That alone tells me they know what they are doing is wrong.

M8rx007
Hampton, Virginia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/01/2008 07:32 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Maximum-Fitness/Newburgh-New-York/Maximum-Fitness-Theft-and-scam-Newburgh-New-York-377550. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Maximum Fitness