Complaint Review: Maytag Appliances

• Submitted: Tue, July 20, 2004
  • Updated: Fri, July 30, 2004

• Reported By:Mississauga Ontario
Maytag Appliances
403 West Fourth Street North Newton, Iowa U.S.A.

Maytag Appliances Refrigerators have known defective parts and refuse to repair. Rip-off! Newton Iowa

*Author of original report: Maytag promises to contact me but nothing after 10 days

*Consumer Comment: Maytag owner of a side by side frig

I have a four year old maytag refrigerator (Maytag 27cu. ft. side-by-side, Model No:MSD2758DRW). It has a bad
Adaptive Defrost Control (ADC) board which causes it to freeze up and not cool at all. I contacted a few service companies and after describing my problem, all of them were able to tell me the problem without a service call, and also tell me this is a known problem with maytag refrigerators.

On July 13, 2004 I had a service person from a local area appliance service company make a service call which confirmed my problem. The service call cost me $200 ($80 part + $40 to come out + $50 labour + tax). I do not expect a $2000+ fridge from a company that prides itself on long lasting appliances to need a $200 service call after 4 years. This service person also told me this was a known problem maytag refrigerators and the part was defective. I searched the web for similiar problems and found dozens of examples of people with the same problem.

I contacted Maytag with my complaint and asked them to confirm that this is a defective part and compensate me for my troubles. I also asked them to provide details on the number of times this part is failing under warranty and the number of parts they ship out for after warranty service. They denied any problem, refused to provide any relief and refused my request for information. I encourage anyone with a similiar experience to post a report here and let Maytag know that you have done so.

Peter
Mississauga, Ontario
Canada

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/20/2004 10:24 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Maytag-Appliances/Newton-Iowa-50208-0039/Maytag-Appliances-Refrigerators-have-known-defective-parts-and-refuse-to-repair-Rip-off-99716. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Maytag Appliances

Maytag promises to contact me but nothing after 10 days

AUTHOR: Peter - (Canada)

I filed this report and a similiar report with the BBB and told Maytag that I had done so.

They immediately replied wanting to talk to me to see if we could resolve the problem. I gave them my contact information.

This all happened on July 20, 2004.

It is now July 30th and I have not heard back from them. I guess they are hoping I will just go away, but this just renews my resolve to get answers from them.

I have now proposed specific contact times and details to see if they can do that.

I will provide another update here when there are further developments.

Maytag owner of a side by side frig

AUTHOR: David - (U.S.A.)

I don't know if it is a rip off or not, but when you pay close to $2,000 for a top of the line energy saving frig it ought to last a few years if not 15 to 20 before having problems.

Not long after we bought our Model MSD2256AE, we found it was not cooling, and a Wards Service man came out and fixed it. It never did really work quite right again, but was ok.

Then when it was 4 years old last year water started flowing out of the freezer compartment. I finally took a look, as I couldn't afford anymore service calls, as Wards had gone under. I found that part of the Putty used to seal around lines had gotten absorbed moisture and dislodged because it was mushy. It fell down and blocked the drain, well that was something easy to fix; seemed the putty was a inferior product.

Now in June 2004, the frig side has stopped cooling enough. I have the frig side turned down to max and it is only cooling the frig down to about 40F. I pulled the upper frig housing holding the thermostat for cold air control form the freezer and the door seems to be open fully, unless the door opened as I was pulling the unit from the frig.

I have plenty of cold in the freezer, it is near zero at times, the problem seems to be a insufficient air flow to the frig.

I guess I will have to check the thermostatically control door from the freezer side again, to make sure it is still open all of the way. This was the first thing I checked when it was having problems.

I believe this was the first thing they replaced on this frig, within a year after purchasing.