Complaint Review: McAfee Security

• Submitted: Sat, February 21, 2004
  • Updated: Tue, July 20, 2004

• Reported By:Shapleigh Maine
McAfee Security
3965 Freedom Circle Santa Clara,, California U.S.A.

McAfee Security ripoff Santa Clara, California

*UPDATE Employee: Sorry for your troubles but... willing to work with you on the billing mistake

After having subscribed to McAfee anti-virus for a year, I was asked to renew my subscription. When I pushed the "renew" button, I was shown a large color ad for a new McAfee program called 8.0. I assumed I had to purchase this program for $60, and ordered it. Then I noticed the small print that said I could renew my subscription for $20. I attempted to cancel my order, but could not figure out how to cancel for about 3 days. Then, they told me to refuse the package and renew for $20. I had a hell of a time getting UPS to pick up the refused package.

When I tried to install the renewal, McAfee told me I could not install it, as my subscription had already run out. So I re-ordered McAfee 8.0, at $60, and attempted to cancel the renewal. (A month after they told me my subscription had run out, they told me it ran out one day ago!) Now, I have successfully installed McAfee 8.0, but there are programs trying to take over my computer, and the latest one, called "Slotch", includes an ad for McAfee! Slotch invaded my computer and made itself my homepage without my permission, and was hard to remove, and is sponsored by McAfee! I think McAfee is evil people, and should be avoided.

Keith
Shapleigh, Maine

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/21/2004 05:50 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/McAfee-Security/Santa-Clara-California-95054/McAfee-Security-ripoff-Santa-Clara-California-81312. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on McAfee Security

Sorry for your troubles but... willing to work with you on the billing mistake

AUTHOR: Michael - (U.S.A.)

I'm sorry for your troubles with the renewals. Usually this is a very seemless process for individuals. It looks like they were willing to work with you on the billing mistake.

However please note that McAfee does not sponsor Slotch. They are simply attempting to generate revenue by linking you to adds they get paid on. For removal information of Slotch please use the link below.

Cheers and good luck...