Complaint Review: McAfee

• Submitted: Sat, December 16, 2006
  • Updated: Sat, December 16, 2006

• Reported By:Cerritos California
McAfee
5000 Headquarters Drive Plano, Texas U.S.A.

McAfee unauthorized subscription renewal charges, abuse of customer financial information ripoff Plano Texas

I normally don't check my credit card statements too carefully, since I haven't had reason to do so in the past, but I decided to check the itemized charge list more carefully last month, just in case, and I found an unauthorized charge from McAfee for $39.99.

I was once a McAfee customer, but it has been at least a year or two since I had subscribed to their services. I would NEVER have found out about this charge, if I hadn't checked my credit card stmt., since I never received any confirmation emails regarding a "purchase." They kept my financial info in their database, and apparently, someone in their company decided to take advantage of it.

I wasn't sure, at first, if I were dealing w/ an identity theft issue, or if McAfee had someone on the inside who was charging former customers, hoping that they wouldn't notice. I believe it's the latter, and that I'm probably not alone.

I contacted McAfee through their website, and they initially responded, but they did not follow up w/ me regarding an explanation as to why I was ever charged. I attempted to contact them again, and they still fail to respond back.

Because McAfee is one of the largest providers of computer protection products, they will probably continue to thrive, but be warned that:

(1) your credit card info is NOT protected in their hands

and

(2) you should check your credit card stmt carefully each month, as well as your banking info.

Masako
Cerritos, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/16/2006 07:21 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/McAfee/Plano-Texas-75024/McAfee-unauthorized-subscription-renewal-charges-abuse-of-customer-financial-information-225821. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on McAfee