Complaint Review: McAfee

• Submitted: Wed, July 28, 2004
  • Updated: Wed, July 28, 2004

• Reported By:Plantation Florida
McAfee
3965 Freedom Circle, Santa Clara, CA 95054 Santa Clara, California U.S.A.
  • Phone: 800-338-8754
  • Web:
  • Category: Software

McAfee Rebate Ripoff Santa Clara California

Last month, I purchase McAfee Internet Security 2004 from a large electronics store. I bought this package, partially because it offered a $30.00 rebate. The rebate required me to send it the original receipt for the purchase, the UPC from the software box, and proof that I owned another virus-protection software package. It also required that I send it this information within 30 days.

I followed the instructions EXACTLY as detailed in the rather detailed form provided on the software package. I filled out the form. In the envelope, I included the original UPC from the McAfee box. I included the original receipt from my purchase. I included my original CD-ROM from my copy of Norton Internet Security 2000 (non-OEM). I sent in all this information the day after I made the purchase.

A month later, I recieved a post card from McAfee stating that they could not issue me the rebate. On the post card, they said that I did not provide proof of purchase (I did!) and that I did not provide proof that I had made a competitive upgrad (I did!). Of course, they told me I could "reapply" but I had already sent them the original of both my proof of purchase and the orignal Norton CD-ROM.

I called the toll-free number and argued briefly with their customer service. Basically, they said that they could not help me if I didn't have original (of course, they already had my originals).

So, I guess I won't be receiving my rebate. I'm out $30.00. McAfee in return lost a customer for life. I will never purchase anything from them again.

If you're considering purchasing any McAfee product because of their rebates, think again.

Andrew
Plantation, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/28/2004 10:53 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/McAfee/Santa-Clara-California-954054/McAfee-Rebate-Ripoff-Santa-Clara-California-101108. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on McAfee