Complaint Review: McAfee

• Submitted: Sun, July 08, 2012
  • Updated: Sun, July 08, 2012

• Reported By: Elderly Minnesota hobbits — Chisago City Minnesota United States of America
McAfee

McAfee Promised that computer would crash if service is not purchased immediately Internet

*Consumer Suggestion: AT&T Provides McAfee For Free and You Get McAfee Support For Only $15.00

I made two separate telephone contacts to McAfee after their software indicated that my computer was at risk.  In both instances I had dialog with a person who had a difficult foreign accent.  They each were given control of my computer and tried to show me that my computer was severely infected and if not given prompt attention, would crash.  Part of the connected demonstration even listed errors that were dated in the future (It was 7/7/2012, and some errors were logged to dates in 2013!).  These displays were clearly being faked to cause me alarm.

I was offered a remedy by a "certified Microsoft Technician" for fees varying from about $150 to $300 depending on the length of time the repair service would last.  I indicated that I wanted to make a local contact to verify the problems on my computer and then said that I would call back after I was able to determine exactly what was going on with these errors.  I asked for a name and phone contact with the individual, and that information was not supplied.

I have been paying for McAfee protection on my computers for many years.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/08/2012 05:27 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/McAfee/internet/McAfee-Promised-that-computer-would-crash-if-service-is-not-purchased-immediately-Interne-908337. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on McAfee

#1 Consumer Suggestion

AT&T Provides McAfee For Free and You Get McAfee Support For Only $15.00

AUTHOR: ilic - (United States of America)

Sorry to hear about your troubles with McAfee and yes you are correct ALL of McAfee agents are based in India. Those guys are salesmen FIRST and FOREMOST and of course will try to sell you and upsell you. Their is a lot of pressure on them to sell.

I know quite a bit about virus removals as I use to work for AT&T and that is what I did. I worked directly with McAfee.

The first thing you have to be aware of is this: There are viruses on the internet that will cause that box to pop up on your screen when you have a Healthy computer. They only want you to click on it and then you call them and they will try to charge your credit card. It is a scam. They are getting very sophisticated.

Second, if you are an AT&T customer you have FREE McAfee with your AT&T Service. I am not sure why AT&T doesn't advertise this. Most of their customers don't even know. You have it up to 4 computers in your home. You will never have to pay for McAfee again.

Also, if you get a virus, AT&T offers something called "Support Plus". Now all agents are not correctly trained and some will tell you there is a year contract or something like that. There is NOT a contract. You can have it removed at ANYTIME. So for the price of only $15.00 you can have Support Plus added to your account and "immediately" they will transfer you to an internet representative who can take control of your computer just like McAfee who are trained in Virus Removal and they will remove it for you.

You just can't ask the AT&T Agent "Oh, so I can have this removed automatically" because their calls are monitored and even if they want to say yes someone may be listening. Just get it added and then immediately after your computer is cleaned and the virus removed call up and have it removed.

They don't have to have a managers permission to remove it. They do it all day everyday. They just push a buttom on the screen and it is off the account. It is one of the easiest phone calls and those guys love easy calls because as a Technical Support Agent they stay super busy and never know what kind of call they will get. You wouldn't believe some of the reasons people called technical Support. I had a lady call one night who had unplugged her tv by mistake and she stated her internet was out. We had all types of calls.

Good Luck.