Complaint Review: McDonald Mazda

• Updated: Tue, October 26, 2010

• Reported By: Leah — Edwards Colorado United States of America
McDonald Mazda
6060 South Broadway Littleton, Colorado United States of America

McDondald Mazda had an aftermarket Sunroof installed in my brand new car and now roof is leaking and rusted. Littleton, Colorado

*Consumer Comment: Makes me a little leary

*Consumer Comment: No Aftermarket?

In October of 2006 I bought a new 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 from McDonald Mazda in  Littleton Colorado. When I purchased the car, there was no moonroof  installed. I asked to have one put in by the dealership and paid $1,500 to  have it installed. When I brought the car in to have the moonroof installed,  there was no reference that the moonroof was going to be an aftermarket  product. There is no paperwork to support that. When I picked up my car in  November of 2006, I was handed a packet from Classic Soft Trim by McDonald  and was told that they don't do sunroofs and used aftermarket companies that  they trusted.

In June of 2007 I had my car in for gravel damage due to a truck who dumped  gravel on my car. There was substantial damage to the car including the roof.  Alpine-Collision repaired my car.

In August of 2007, my sunroof stopped working. It wouldn't open/shut or  operate at all. I called Classic Soft Trim and they arranged to have the  sunroof repaired. They picked up my vehicle on 9/10/2007 and returned it  9/11/2007. I do not have copies of the work that they have done but I have  phone records and the Corporate Classic Trim company has records as well.

In May of 2009, my sunroof stopped working again. Since I was out of  warranty, I decided not to get it fixed. In June of 2010 I noticed several rust spots and bubbling around my sunroof.  My roof also started leaking and dripping into my driver's side of the car.

I called McDonald Mazda in August of 2010 asking for Classic Soft Trim to fix  my car. On September 10th I dropped my Mazda Speed6 off at McDonald Mazda and  they had Classic Soft Trim look at my car. On Tuesday, September 21, McDonald Mazda let me know that the sunroof company  would not fix my car because it had been painted by Alpine Collision. Mazda also refused to take responsibility. - I have a lifetime warranty from Classic Soft Trim, A 5 Year body damage warranty from McDonald Mazda and a lifetime warranty from Alpine Collision. Nobody is honoring the warranty.

I  picked up the vehicle on Friday, September 24th.

On Friday, September 24th I called Bruno at Alpine Collision and faxed him  the work order from 6/2007 on Monday, September 27th, 2010. I also brought  the car in on Thursday, September 30th for him to look at the vehicle.
The final conclusion is that Classic Soft Trim will not take responsibility  of the sunroof and rusted, leaking roof because it was painted however  Classic Soft Trim was the last ones to touch my car. When I brought the car  in for moonroof service in 9/2007, wouldn't they have seen that the seal was  compromised and not work on my car? Also, I've contacted Classic Soft Trim several times from September 21, 2010 to September 30th,  2010 asking for a copy of the work order from their service to my car on  9/10/2010. I have yet to see any paperwork.

Alpine Collision is only willing to pay for 1/3 of the damage because he  thinks there are 3 parties responsible. I've exhausted all my avenues of trying to get this resolved. Not one of the  three companies involved are willing to take responsibility for the damage to
my moonroof. Had I known that this would be an aftermarket mooonroof and not  factory installed, I would never of agreed to buy it and compromise the  integrity of my car.

Attached is a link of photos of my vehicle.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/25/2010 06:08 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/McDonald-Mazda/Littleton-Colorado-80121/McDondald-Mazda-had-an-aftermarket-Sunroof-installed-in-my-brand-new-car-and-now-roof-is-l-655122. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on McDonald Mazda

Makes me a little leary

AUTHOR: Anonymous - (U.S.A.)

I also got an aftermarket sunroof put in at the same dealership. Makes me a little leary this may happen to mine. I will keep an eye on it. I bought a 2010 Mazda CX-9 from there a few months back. It is obvious that is aftermarket and not factory, because putting in a factory sunroof after-the-fact would cost like $25k as it has to fly back to japan, get installed, then back to US.

5 year body damage warranty? Are you sure of this? The *factory warranty on certain aspects is 5 years, which doesn't typically doesn't cover body damage. Also, since I bought my car from the same place and I made a point to see every option of warranty package they had, all I saw was two types of 7 year extended warranty's. If you did the extended warranties from Mcdonald's, they cost around 10% of vehicle price. I didn't see any 5 year option.

I used to be a sales rep at Burt Chevrolet down the street and all we had there was 7 year extended warranty options as well. May have used the same warranty company. I would double check the warranty as something is missing.

No Aftermarket?

AUTHOR: Jim - (USA)

You bought the car new, right? It came from the factory without the sunroof, right? Now then, how did you expect the sunroof to get there if it wasn't aftermarket? Was the dealer supposed to send the car back to Japan to be rebuilt? The sad fact about aftermarket sunroofs is that far too many leak. That's the nature of the beast. You're right to assume the trim shop has responsibility but they are hanging their hat on the fact rust indicates the leak has been there a long time and you should have contacted them years ago. However I think you make a good point that the only way it evidenced itself is when the car was torn apart for other reasons. A reasonable person would not be tearing apart the car when nothing it wrong. I think you should take this to small claims court.