• Report: #711976

• Submitted: Wed, March 30, 2011
  • Updated: Wed, March 30, 2011

• Reported By: rick7653 — san rafael California United States of America
Mcafee

Mcafee Product does not work as advertised, tech support is retarded Santa Clara, Internet

*Consumer Suggestion: Mcafee Sucks!

*Author of original report: You are correct on all counts

*Consumer Comment: An unfortunate reality...

I don't know why I even bothered to pay for this software. Mcafee virus scan missed 3 different viruses on my machine. I had to use a FREE scanner from the net and it found all 3 viruses. I tried to report their failing to Mcafee tech support. They act like they are simple minded. I recently bought the latest version of their internet suite. I buy a new one from them every year for 15 years. I told tech support that their software had missed the viruses and that I had detected and cleaned them with another program. Tech support says back to be "I understand you have a virus and can't remove it". I reply NO I ALREADY REMOVED IT. Tech support: Please make sure your virus definition files are up to date and do a full scan". Me: I already did that and ran a full scan 3 times. Tech support: You must update your virus files and run a full scan.  Well you get the point. They just keep saying the same thing over and over no matter what you say to them. Idiots. Worst tech support ANYWHERE. I bought Kaspersky and removed Mcafee. I have been a customer of Mcafee for 15 years and will NEVER buy their garbage software again.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/30/2011 12:50 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Mcafee/internet/Mcafee-Product-does-not-work-as-advertised-tech-support-is-retarded-Santa-Clara-Interne-711976. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Mcafee

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Mcafee Sucks!

AUTHOR: mr. rik - (United States of America)

My free computer (thanks Verizon!) came with Mcafee on it.

It was a reel bitch from the start.  So many pop up ads wanting me to subscribe, and this was all in the 1st week mind you.  I got tired of clicking off only to have another appear.  I finally just deleted it.

I dont do alot of downloading and dont open questionable stuff.  Never had a virus that I know of, but cant imagine it being much more annoying than the mcafee stuff.

After reading your report Im glad I never bought into it.  Save me the trouble of having to screw them over too someday.

You are correct on all counts

AUTHOR: rick7653 - (United States of America)

Malware bytes is the program that found the viruses when Mcafee missed them. You are correct on all counts of course. The problem I have is that I hate throwing money in the toilet for something that does not do what it claims to do. Secondly the 3 viruses it found are common viruses and when a FREE program finds it when a supposed "professional" program doesn't it upsets me. Money is tight and I might as well have gone out to dinner with the money instead of wasting it on this flawed prosduct
that has little if no intelligent tech support. I could tell right away it was some idiot reading from a manual that says "if the customer says this tell them this". It's just not right and Mcafee's arrogance has cost them a customer. The reason this started in the first place was because Mcafee failed to detect a virus in an email message I recieved.

Thanks for your feedback. Kaspersky has already proved to be much better and way less taxing on my system. Mcafee is a resource hog.

An unfortunate reality...

AUTHOR: spc3rd - (USA)

Rick,

Your experience is like a lot of others who use or have used McAfee security software, including the tech support sounding like a broken record.  The unfortunate reality with any of the major computer security software providers is there is not any one program out there that will catch every single virus or even malware currently plaguing computer users.

For every known virus or malware, there are new variants being churned out every day by the cretins who engage in such dispicable activities.  Security software providers will always be a step behind since they have to first be alerted to the presence of a virus, then they must update their existing software to detect it.  They rely a lot on consumers like you and I to alert them.

Another reality is that it is recommended computer users also have an anti-malware program, such as, Malwarebytes, installed on their computer.  (Just make sure whichever anti-malware software you obtain does NOT have real-time scanning).  Having two security programs running at the same time can create problems.  The FREE version of Malwarebytes does not have real-time scanning and is the recommended version to use.

Anti-malware software is NOT designed to replace your primary AV software...merely to complement it.  Most of the major AV software out there like McAfee, Norton (Symantec), Kaspersky, etc concentrate their development efforts on detecting viruses rather than malware.  The major AV software providers also may have community forums where you can also not only obtain very good help, but (in the case of McAfee's site), you can also submit a sample of a suspect program for analysis by the company's technical staff.

You may already be aware of some or all of what I've mentioned here...if so...then I trust you'll forgive me.  I hope you find Kaspersky will meet your needs better than McAfee.  If you encounter any similar issues with it...I hope you'll return here and let the community know.

Good luck!