Complaint Review: Meadowbrook Services

• Submitted: Tue, September 11, 2012
  • Updated: Thu, September 13, 2012

• Reported By: Jacqueline R. Jones — Frankfort Illinois United States of America
Meadowbrook Services
18839 S. Wolf Rd., #3 Mokena, Illinois United States of America

Meadowbrook Services MBS Illegal Collection Practices - Theft Mokena, Illinois

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Response to the non-responsive homeowner

In June 2012, we called MBS out to service our lawn sprinklers. This was the 2nd time we used them. I had no problems with the service. We were not told of the balance once the technician left however a bill for $95.00 followed. In their defense, a representative called in July and August to collect payment for the bill. On September 11, 2012, one of the workers came by our home while our children were preparing to go to school. They children did not open the door, however remembered the truck. Once I got home I called MBS to advise them that we would be paying the bill today after 5pm. It was at that time that the employee informed me that they were closing at 5pm and that I would need to come in earlier to retrieve my valve. So I asked the employee what was the valve. She explained that it was a piece that belonged on the sprinkler unit. So I asked her why she had it, as I was confused. I wasn't sure what the valve did. She then stated, the technician came out earlier in the day to secure payment. Since no one answered the door, he removed our valve from the sprinkler unit. So I processed it for a second and asked her if this valve was something that they put on when they serviced the unit in June. She said no. I then said so you stole a piece of the unit from our property. She then said yes, but you should have paid your bill. I then advised her that that was not proper collection procedures and that I was calling the Frankfort police department. The phone went dead. The police then came to my home. At the same time I was in the process of speaking with the owner, Rob. Rob proceeded to over-talk me and then said that he told his employee that if he does not collect the payment, he will not pay him (his employee.) At this point in our conversation according to Rob, his worker was on the North side and he would have to wait to talk to him to find out the particulars. This was after telling me that he told the employee to take the valve. I advised the police I was satisfied and sure he would return the valve with no incident. Shortly after speaking with him, he came to my home. He presented me with my bill and reinstalled the valve. I had two $100 bills asked him for change, he said lets call it an even $100. He then went into a series of stories about other companies doing much of the same; how he knows landscapers who don't get paid for their work would come in the middle of the night and put poison on ones grass so that it will never grow again. I told him that was theft and no amount of double talking was going to change that. He then threatened to put me on a website for contractors. I advised him I would do the same; adding to the number of complaints lodged against his company. I explained to him that while I will assume full responsibility for not being timely in paying the bill and returning calls, that does not give him the right to advise his employees to steal. I will never do business with this company again.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/11/2012 01:29 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Meadowbrook-Services/Mokena-Illinois-60448-8999/Meadowbrook-Services-MBS-Illegal-Collection-Practices-Theft-Mokena-Illinois-939671. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Meadowbrook Services

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Response to the non-responsive homeowner

AUTHOR: Meadowbrook Services - (United States of America)

In regards to Mrs. Jones, they tried turning on their own system instead of having us or another company do it and on Friday May 29 Mrs Jones called and said her sprinkler system was not working and if we can come out asap to repair it, which we did we came out on Monday June 2 to repair the RPZ unit (the backflow preventer valve) and by the time we left it was working properly and you signed the repair sheet agreeing it was working before we left. Most companies usually collect on the spot but there are times we do and there are times we put the trust into the homeower to pay their bill after we do the work and send the invoice out. We sent an invoice out right away to you in June and was due beginning of July. We sent a reminder invoice July 18.  As of July 31 we have not heard from you or received payment from you so we did call and leave you a message as well as sent another invoice out. We mailed a statement on Aug 16 to you.  As of Aug 23 since we have not received payment or heard from you yet we called you and left another message. On Aug 29 we called again and left another message and sent out another statement. In beginning of Sept we called twice and still no response from you or your husband. On Sept 11, yes we did send the service tech out to your house with the invoice to try and collect and no one answered the door. Yes the tech did remove the RPZ unit that we worked on but I will admit there was some confusion about the discussion of him taking it, that was not the purpose for him to go there. But we did finally hear from you for the first time on Sept 11 at 1:33pm since June 2 when we were at your house. You also claim that the phone went dead when in reality the girl said to hold on for a minute please and put you on hold and when I went to pick up the line there was no one there so I called you back immediately and that was the first time you've answered any one of our phone calls to you since we started calling you in July. We did go back out to your house that afternoon right after I talked to you and put the RPZ unit back on. This is not how we do business with our homeowners that was a mistake. Yes you did finally pay part of the total due that was owed which was $104.74 and since I did not have that kind of change on me for a hundred dollar bill I decided I would let the rest go as a loss. Yes my service tech did make a mistake but if the issue would not have happened I would eventually have had to take you to court which may have then cost you alot more like court fees and attorneys fees then the orignal invoice of $95.00.
We have a A+ Accredited Rating with the BBB as well as we receive referrals from them which we do service now and they like our service. We've had alot of the same customers for many years and they have never had an issue with us. As for how other contractors work to collect payment that is how they do things not me. You have to understand that running a business is not cheap there are plenty of overhead costs and employees pays, utilites, insurance etc and no contractor/company can do the work for free.
Mrs Jones you made your point and I made mine and I think this should be the end of it, your RPZ unit was repaired properly and I finally received payment, we understand that you choose not to use our company again and that will probably be the best for both involved.