- Report: #454163
Report - Rebuttal - Arbitrate
Complaint Review: Med-Rev Recoveries
Med-Rev Recoveries100 Metropolitan Park Drive Liverpool, New York U.S.A.
Med-Rev Recoveries - Ignoring people's rights under federal law! Liverpool New York
Being that I work for a collections law firm, I know my rights and I know that collector's responsibilities. So, at my next break, I called their number back and again, the same collector answered. I asked for the front desk, he stated he couldn't transfer me because he didn't know the number to the front desk. I asked to speak with a supervisor, he told me NO! I asked for a manager, he told me that the collections manager was not in. I then demanded to speak to the company's in-house attorney... The collector again refused my request!!! I told him that I knew that by law, he could not refuse my request to speak to the attorney. He yelled over me, stating "this is how it's going to be" to which I advised him that if need be, I would have my attorney call. He yelled "Go ahead" and mumbled something else. I advised him this will not continue and I hung up.
I then contacted the original creditor, the hospital and filed a complaint... They told me after placing a call to the agency, that someone would speak to him. I advised the hospital billing dept that not only would that not do, but that I would be refusing to pay collection agency and that they would be forced to send the file back to the hospital. I also told her that I worked for a collections law firm, was well trained in the law in the area of collections and let her know that I am still considering legal action against the agency. I advised her that I would have no problem making payment arrangements with the hospital, but I would not work with the agency at all.
Things you should know about a 3rd party collection agency:
1) they are required to verify who they are speaking with
2) they must state the 'mini-miranda' which includes:
a) the communication is from a debt collector
b) that it is an attempt to collect a debt
c) that any information can be used for the purpose of collecting that debt
3) that the call may be monitored or recorded if applicable in your state
4) they cannot call any numbers known to be cell phones
5) if you state that certain hours or days are inconvenient, they cannot call during those hours or days.
6) if you state that your employer does not allow personal phone calls, that you wish for them not to call at work or that it is inconvenient for you to receive calls at work, they must stop calling you at work.
7) if you tell them to cease and desist, they must stop calling you after they give you the alternative options.
Verona, New York
This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/21/2009 03:34 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Med-Rev-Recoveries/Liverpool-New-York-13088/Med-Rev-Recoveries-Ignoring-peoples-rights-under-federal-law-Liverpool-New-York-454163. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.
Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report.
If you would like to see more Rip-off Reports on this company/individual, search here:Search Tips
In order to assure the best results in your search:
- Keep the name short & simple, and try different variations of the name.
- Do not include ".com", "S", "Inc.", "Corp", or "LLC" at the end of the Company name.
- Use only the first/main part of a name to get best results.
- Only search one name at a time if Company has many AKA's.
Advertisers above have met our
strict standards for business conduct.