Complaint Review: Meetup.com

• Submitted: Thu, March 14, 2013
  • Updated: Thu, March 14, 2013

• Reported By: BigDaddy — Illinois USA

Meetup.com Meetup.com discriminates Internet

I subscribed to Meetup(dot com) to start a social group so my customers would have a place to meet other people with the same interest.

About a week after subscribing, we received an email saying that we had "received a complaint" that we had violated a term condition which involved the promotion of a company. They also said they will refund our fee that we have yet to receive. Will update on this issue as time goes on.

I sent an email saying that our intention was not to promote a business and if they hadn't removed my account I could have explained more by examples. They would not reply. No return phone calls as well.

We sent another email with several page links (evidence) of two competitor Meetup groups in our area, the were identical to our Meetup group that was terminated, asking why I was terminated and why they were not. The only reply I received was that they "will not discuss other Meetup groups". Again, I asked why I was terminated and the other two were allowed to remain. I also asked what the difference was in our group than the other two. Received a reply with only a link to their terms & conditions. I copied and pasted their terms section about the promotion of a business and again asked why they were not terminated as I was. Reply..." we can not discuss other groups"!

We have researched other complaints about meetup(dot com) and found similar complaints. They are in violation of their own terms and allowing a competitor to use their site while choosing who not to allow for what ever reason. That is clearly unfair business practice. I recommend strongly that any of you who may be considering subscribing to Meetup(dot com) look for a alternative source!

They are a Ripoff!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/14/2013 12:55 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Meetupcom/internet/Meetupcom-Meetupcom-discriminates-Internet-1028754. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Meetup.com