Complaint Review: Mega Life - UGA Association Field Services

• Submitted: Mon, February 11, 2008
  • Updated: Mon, October 29, 2012

• Reported By:Titusville Florida
Mega Life - UGA Association Field Services
500 Grapevine Hwy Suite 300 Hurst, Texas U.S.A.

Mega Life - UGA Association Field Services - American Financial Services There is life for Agents after selling Mega Hurst Texas

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Agreed.

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Help for current and former MEGA agents

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: You're Not Alone!

I started with Mega in January '07 and was number 1 in my Quickstart class each and every week until I "graduated." Senior agent status came fast and my taken rate was at 90% and my invitation to Reunion was secure. I won a GPS, a leather briefcase and a few other assorted odds and ends. I stayed with the company for 6 months.

Why did I leave? The product is inferior and there is SO much bad press about it. Because most people have Internet access, it's very easy for them to look up a company. There were too many times when I would have a check and a signed app, only to have a voicemail message when I got home, telling me to shred the check because they looked up Mega.

The hours I put in were ridiculous. They coerce you into buying leads, which eats up your commission very quickly, especially when combined with the rising price of gas. Oh, and there were the mandatory sales meetings (pep rallies) twice a week. It's 42 miles from my home to the office and had $6 in tolls. So 84 miles round trip twice a week---and not even for a sales call. Ugh!

I left Mega in July. On Nov 11, I received a letter telling me how much I owed the company - $5434.06, but they were willing to settle for $659.12. Sounds like they were being accommodating, but I asked them to send me a statement indicating how that amount was determined. No response.

Today I received a notice from CreditWatch that I owe $4775.38 - I'm not sure how that sum was calculated. Oddly enough, when I recently received my 1099 for tax purposes, my compensation was listed as $9316. So basically, Mega wants to take back more than half of what I received from them.

I'd like to hear from other agents who have gone through this type of hassle with Mega, and what action they have taken to resolve it.

Kris
Titusville, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/11/2008 06:46 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Mega-Life-UGA-Association-Field-Services/Hurst-Texas-76054/Mega-Life-UGA-Association-Field-Services-American-Financial-Services-There-is-life-fo-308103. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Mega Life - UGA Association Field Services

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Agreed.

AUTHOR: Bo stevens - (U.S.A.)

I worked for UGA off and on from 2002 to 2007. I left for about a year, due to personal circumstance. When I tried to come back, they did the same thing to me, as they did to you. I owed them a few thousand, but they settled for a little over 1,000. Interesting that I was #1 for a while my first year as well.

I liked how the customer's rates were structured, and nobody could be "singled-out" for any reason, which in fact held true. What I started to realize over time there, was that although the company was great to have insurance through, if you needed a large claim of any kind, they would drop the ball. The company was bad about paying chunky claims.

I have not worked there in several years, but noticed your post. The reason I left when I did, was that my Area Manager convinced me to continue selling insurance when my license was due for renual of CE credits. I should have trusted the CA-state website stating such, but decided stupidly to listen to him instead (by the way, he was agressively pushy about it). I sold policies for a few weeks, which couldn't be processed because I was not licensed. Many policies fell off the books, and several months later, my taken-rate fell drastically. I was only making around 150 per policy, when before was making 3-times that.

My District Manager had my back, and tried to get this guy (his Manager) to cover me financially for a few weeks until it could get resolved. However, this Area Manager would not budge to help. I left, and informed them that I owe them nothing, so don't even try it. Haven't received any debt info from them.

The company has since, either folded, or taken a new name. MEGA and UGA were previously owned by "Blackstone Group", but I haven't heard of anything about them since. If you're having problems with your credit because of these guys, contact(((REDACTED))) They are very good.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Help for current and former MEGA agents

AUTHOR: P - (U.S.A.)

A brief note to all current and former Mega agents, make copies of EVERYTHING given or sent via email from your managers. I too was an agent for MEGA and eventually saw through the fog of success that managers cherry pick leads and rewrite applications to increase commissions, err advances. I started to keep copies of every email from my manager, including the one where he suggested that I write up my family for insurance in order to receive a big advance. He laid out the plan and encouraged me to stop payment on the premium check, evrybody does it once in a while to cover their butt during a slow period and to escape the 8 week limit on turn ins, he said. I refused but kept the email.

When I was forced out, had not seen a lead in 2 months, I received the demand letter for $3600 in advances. I faxed the copies of the emails I kept to HealthMarkets home office. Guess what? Haven't heard a peep from them for 5 months. they did call once to ask if I had reported this email to the Maryland Insurance Commissioner. Can't remember if I did........

#3 UPDATE EX-employee responds

You're Not Alone!

AUTHOR: Lori - (U.S.A.)

Hi Kris,

I left Mega in Dec of 2006 and have filed a previous report about UGA/Mega on RipOffReport.com as well. I too left for the same reasons you did and more and I too received threats from UGA on my account. I had a gentleman call me from Credit Watch telling me that I owed over $6000 but they would settle for $4700.

They threatened to take me to court and that I would have to pay the court costs as well. At the time I didn't have the money in full and made a couple of payments to help get my balance down. However, I was able to come up with it a couple of months later and ended up paying them $3622 to settle my account. I was told by Credit Watch that I would get a receipt for my payment and to this day, I still have not received it and have called several times asking for it.

Now, I have been told that if you just ignore Credit Watch and their threats, they will go away and nothing ever gets put on your credit report. I'm not sure that is true, but I wasn't willing to risk it. Then again, I'm so far in debt because of UGA, it probably wouldn't have mattered anyway.

I have been financially ruined by UGA and their lies. I don't want to go into them again, but the turmoil and sleepless nights I have had to endure have been life altering. The office I used to work out of has lost all of it's agents, some had been there for years, and apparently, they are doing things very unprofessional. Things I will not mention.

I can't tell you what to do about the money that UGA says you owe them. I would seek legal counsel if you can and see what they say. You have to do what you feel is best for you. One thing you can do is stop others from signing up with UGA and ruining their lives.

I wish you well