Complaint Review: Meijer Department Store

• Submitted: Wed, December 21, 2005
  • Updated: Sat, August 13, 2011

• Reported By:portage Michigan
Meijer Department Store
5121 S. Westnedge Ave. Portage, Michigan U.S.A.

Meijer Department Store ripoff dishonest not people friendly Portage Michigan

*Consumer Comment: But when item is out of stock?

*Consumer Comment: two words...

*Consumer Comment: Come ON! This has been every stores policy for quite some time!!

*UPDATE Employee: Reason for Meijers Response

Had a game I bought from them. It was defective, and did not want another one because the internet said there were many bad reports on them. So I asked fior a store voucher. They refused, said they only do exact duplicate replacements, kept my game, receipt, money, and dignity. When I called them, they refuse to talk to me unless I tell them the exact time I was there in which I do not know the exact time I was there.

timothy
Portage, Michigan

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/21/2005 02:34 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Meijer-Department-Store/Portage-Michigan-49002/Meijer-Department-Store-ripoff-dishonest-not-people-friendly-Portage-Michigan-168875. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Meijer Department Store

But when item is out of stock?

AUTHOR: Koneko - (United States of America)

I had a DVD that wouldn't play at all and tried to return it the next day for exchange. But there wasn't any identical DVD in store and when they checked, not in the inventory either so they were out of it.  The next nearest Meijer was well over 30 minutes away, not worth the $8 DVD so I asked about a refund.  They wouldn't give me refund. So I told them I'd wait until they can ge me replacement.  They had me thrown out.

The store should be making an exception to the no refund policy when it's verifiable there are no more in inventory to exchange with.  Not screwing with their customer who is not at fault for defective item and out of stock item.  Many DVD publisher generally don't allow exchange or return directly, only from the store I buy from so mailing defective DVD is not an option.

I eventually got the replacement by sending the DVD to my brother and had him return it at another Meijer.  Out $1.50 for first class postage and bubble padded envelope because Meijer is stingy.

two words...

AUTHOR: L - (U.S.A.)

GAME STOP

Come ON! This has been every stores policy for quite some time!!

AUTHOR: Jl - (U.S.A.)

It's unfortunate, but true...due to the number of nasty dirtbags out there, any store I can think of had adopted this same policy. And has had this policy for quite some time. Don't shoot the messenger- Meijer was one of the last stores in my area to adopt this policy even! I was surprised by this myself a year or two ago...

I'm afraid you're just going to have to "eat" this one- my best advice (as I'm sure you already have figured), is to research research research before you buy an item like that. I know that's too little too late now... AND- if I were you, I would simply exchange the game and keep on exchanging it again and again if need be!!! Wouldn't hurt to write the actual manufacturer and raise a big stink, too.

Instead of doing a rip-off report on Meijer, you should be considering a rip-off report on this game (or it's manufacturer)- to give everbody a heads up on IT, INSTEAD. Because as I mentioned, this store policy is standard!

Good luck with a new version of the game- I think you should keep trying exchanges on it!!

Reason for Meijers Response

AUTHOR: Chris - (U.S.A.)

To whom it may concern:

I am a Meijer service desk employee at a Michigan store and have had to explain this policy many times to guest.

Many computers now offfer DVD copying capabilities, simply put, you could buy a DVD, copy it, and then return it for cash or a different DVD to copy. To prevent this Meijer along with most other retaliers including Best Buy only offer even exchanges on open CD's, DVD's and Video Games. However if the CD/DVD is still in it's packaging then we can offer you a full refund.

While I am sure you do not copy these DVD's I have worked at the service desk for two years and have seen my fair share of this scam. It is unfortunate that this policy has had to be implimented almost retail wide, but we have to treat all of our customers equally.

Hope this helps.