The initial problem started when we had a cooling system flush on our 1994 Honda Accord with approx. 121,000 miles. We smelled antifreeze and noticed a small puddle of antifreeze under the car. A quick inspection showed that the upper radiator hose clamp had not been tightened. We tightened the clamp, returned to Meineke informed them and asked them to check the antifreeze level, which they said was ok.
Several weeks later, we noticed more anti-freeze beneath the car. We took it back to Meineke again, this time we were told the head gasket was leaking and needed replacement, as well as the water pump, timing belt, and power steering belt. We approved the repairs which took approx. two weeks. At this time the car was running very poorly.
Returned to Meineke where the oxygen sensor was replaced, but now the "check engine" light was "on".After several more days we were informed that the number 1 cylinder had very low compression and the head would have to be removed and rechecked. The car ran so poorly after this repair and the new belts were so noisy, we took the car back again and were informed they could find nothing wrong. I suspected the bulb had been removed to extinguish the "check engine" light.
The car was running very poorly at this point (hesitating, bucking, noise)and the accelerator pedal was difficult to depress. My wife, while getting gas at a local station, had a power failure in the car and was unable to unlock the doors or roll the windows down.
Meineke sent a mechanic to the station where he discovered the battery cable had not been tightened and was loose on the terminal. At this time my wife told him of the accelerator problem, and he discovered two cables that had been "crossed".
The car was running so poorly at this point, and after several trips back to Meineke with complaints and no results, we decided to find someone who could fix the mess Meineke had made. We took the car to Abbott Imports in Farmington, Missouri. After a thorough inspection, the mechanic showed us the sloppy repairs, the missing parts (including a motor mount bolt and an exhaust manifold brace), the damaged parts and what he thought it would take to get the car running normally again.
These damaged and missing parts were reported to Sam Greco at Meineke with no positive results. We told Abbott Imports to do the repairs (including the computer and several sensors) which ended up costing $673.70 in addition to nearly $1000.00 we had already paid Meineke.
We took the list of repairs and receipt to Meineke where they refused to acknowledge any damages except a crushed tube from the transmission to the radiator (the transmission now leaks).This entire mess took place over a period of several months, and we were without the use of our car most of the past summer. The car is now running fine after the repairs made by Abbott Imports.