Complaint Review: Meineke

• Reported By: My2cents — Willoughby Ohio
Meineke
36705 Euclid Ave Willoughby, Ohio United States of America

Meineke Overcharged for the Oil Change Willoughby, Ohio

*Consumer Suggestion: Make sure to do your homework, then you can walk away with you money and give it to a company who deserves it.

*Consumer Comment: This is an overcharge as far as I am concerned

*General Comment: Men Don't Pay Shop/Environmental Fees or Sales Tax?

Meineke has advertised Oil Change for $19.99, so I printed the coupon & headed to the shop.  The shop charged me a total of $30 explaining that the difference in $10 was for the shop materials.  What do they use, gold-plated wrenches?  Ten bucks for the rags that they use over again, it's unheard of.  A clever way to increase their profit.   It won't make it or break it for me, but it sucks to be taken advantage of.  I guess when a woman walks in to an auto shop, all they see is green, and Meineke is no exception.  I will never set my foot in that place again.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/12/2013 10:15 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Meineke/Willoughby-Ohio-44094/Meineke-Overcharged-for-the-Oil-Change-Willoughby-Ohio-1042739. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Meineke

#1 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: knah - ()

I had a similar experience at Meineke. Printed my coupon, took it to the shop also. I I already knew before I went that my oil cost less than $5 a qt for conventional oil in a 4cyc eng. which is 5 qts. $25 for the oil. Meineke tried to charge me $48 even though I presented a coupon for $19.95. He had no explanation beyond "that's what it cost". I left him standing there with a meaningless schedule entry with my first name/time/day on it. "Scratch it out dude. I know what my oil cost. Cya." Be careful and check to see what your car requires/price, call before you go, get a name and when you get there, get a name and hold them to it or they should be able to show you on paper what they are charging for and how they justify it. That way you can impose your power as a consumer, walk away with your money and give it to a company who deserves your business. That is just as good as showing them where they can put their poor service. Good luck in the future.

This is an overcharge as far as I am concerned

AUTHOR: Anonymous - ()

Disagree all you want, but I bet they wouldn't charge a man ten bucks for the 'shop materials'. The sales tax here is 6.5% which is a dollar with small change. If the shop advertised the promotional price $20 for an oil change, up to five bucks for their 'shop materials' etc. would be reasonable. Now if you multiply the difference by the number of customers, you'd come up with some hefty numbers.

$7 for the shop supplies? This must have been norm in the area with the high sales taxes.

You don't believe me, fine. Please feel free to do all your oil changes at Meineke, for all that I care.
And oh, they did try to take me for a ride for some 'maintenance', but I flatly refused.

#3 General Comment

Men Don't Pay Shop/Environmental Fees or Sales Tax?

AUTHOR: SUCKA! - ()

So, you're saying you this repair facility saw "green" when they saw you, in turn taking advantage of you by charging you shop/environmental fees and sales tax, simply because you are a woman?  I beg to differ.  I think they would have charged any customer the same, regardless of gender.

I'll admit, their shop/environmental fees must be a little on the high side, if your total bill was $30.  If, say, sales tax in that area is a whopping 10%, the oil change $20, shop supplies $7, sales tax $2.70, for a total bill of $29.70, $7 in shop supplies is a bit much for a $20 oil change.  I could see $2-$3 in shop fees within reason, but no more.

However, I completely disagree with you saying it is your belief that this facility charged you $10 in shop supplies and sales tax due to your gender.  If all they saw was "green" when they saw you, where is your complaint about them trying to sell you thousands of dollars worth of unneeded maintenance and repairs?