Complaint Review: Memberworks Toronto ON

• Updated: Tue, November 09, 2010

• Reported By: Anne — Calgary Alberta Canada
Memberworks Toronto ON
P.O. Box 130, Stn B; Montreal, QC Internet United States of America

Memberworks Toronto ON Privacy Protection Plus Scam of monthly charges for no product or service; Montreal, Internet

Memberworks Toronto ON Privacy Report got my contact information I presume from the HBC cardholder list and led me to believe they were affiliated with HBC.  As I recall it, they offered me discounted gift cards for various retailers that I do support, and / or credit reports whenever I needed them.  I said I didn't need the credit reports but I was potentially interested in the gift cards but I wanted to review the documentation first.  They said they would send out a package of info, and there was no charge for this and I could use it for a month and then if not happy just call them and cancel it.  I fully intended to review the package and cancel if it did not appear to be worth the cost.  I understood at the time the charges, when they began, would be a one-time cost of $20.95 for a year's subscription.

The package never did come in the mail but the amount of $20.95 per MONTH appeared on my credit card with no phone number or address to contact them.  I had been told over the phone that the contact number to cancel was included in the package they said they would send me.

After searching this out on the internet, I have now found many others who have been similarly scammed.  It appears nobody gets a package mailed to them and every one gets ripped off for $20.95.

I was able call the toll-free number: 1-866-444-1837 to cancel and have now supposedly gotten a full refund for all months charged after speaking to a Supervisor.  I hope the credit really does appear!  I assume this company makes their money by charging lots of people and supplying no benefit of any kind, and most people either fail to cancel or fail to demand a full refund.  However, in my opinion this is FRAUD!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/09/2010 05:00 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Memberworks-Toronto-ON/internet/Memberworks-Toronto-ON-Privacy-Protection-Plus-Scam-of-monthly-charges-for-no-product-or-s-660145. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Memberworks Toronto ON