distinguished

• Submitted: Mon, January 08, 2007
  • Updated: Fri, December 30, 2011

• Reported By:Milwaukee Wisconsin
Menards
menards.com Brookfield, Wisconsin U.S.A.

Menards poor return policy Brookfield Wisconsin

*Consumer Suggestion: know the policy

*Consumer Comment: Menards has always been great

*Consumer Comment: sorry

*UPDATE Employee: Read your reciepts

*Consumer Comment: This is not a rip off

*UPDATE Employee: Poor Gift

The following is an e-mail I received from Menards (see my original e-mail below). It is sad that today's companies don't realize the importance of customer relationships. They should have been able to do something to make this situation right.

Martha,

I'm very sorry, but they are not returnable.

Thanks, Ray

---Original Message---
From: guest@menards.com [mailto:guest@menards.com]
Sent: Sunday, January 07, 2007 4:06 PM
To: guest@menard-inc.com
Subject: Website Guest Contact 2007-01-07 16:05:36

Name: Martha
Sent: 2007-01-07 16:05:36
My husband and I recently received a Christmas present of some Christmas lights and lawn decorations. We decided that these items would not suit us at this time, and we attempted to return these items at our local Menards store.

When we arrived, we were informed that no seasonal items may be returned. I understand this policy, however, I would hope that some consideration would be given since these items were a gift. Carl, store manager, was very nice, but not able to help us. We unfortunately had to
leave the items at the store since we did not have space available in our vehicle or home to store them. I am asking that we are at least given some consideration and would appreciate even an in store credit for the amount of the items we were not able to return. I still have the receipt for the items which totals $84.46. I would appreciate a prompt response. Thank you
Martha

Martha
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/08/2007 01:16 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Menards/Brookfield-Wisconsin/Menards-poor-return-policy-Brookfield-Wisconsin-229367. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Menards

#1 Consumer Suggestion

know the policy

AUTHOR: pbillin - (Canada)

Understand the policy well and hold the company to it:

Menards has always been great

AUTHOR: Commercial maintenance - (U.S.A.)

I am a contractor, and spend maybe $15,000 to $20,000 a year at Menards. Due to this type of business, I also wind up returning things a lot. Probably at least $800 worth a year. I never had a SINGLE problem at Menards. That is why, they get probably 90% + of my considerable business. They ARE a business, so they DO have to have some rules as far as returns. But those rules, which I am very familiar with, are absolutely fair in my opinion.

sorry

AUTHOR: no1noseme - (United States of America)

I have a sister that is the type of person that ruins it for most honest people,buy lying through her theeth to get something returned.she will go as far as filing complaints with any place that will listen.                 its people like here that create  the problem,not allways the seller.  she is also a person that goes to church every week,and claims she is the closest to god in our family. so go figure.   think of it this way.if stores could get by with what costomers do to them,all retail cost's would increase by  50% or more I have also have return issues with some stores.but allways shop the 1's with memberships and good return policy's. i owned a commercial const. co.for years and you can spot the ones that do not tell the truth perty fast,by the storys and situations they come up with.  my2 cents

Read your reciepts

AUTHOR: Watcher150 - (U.S.A.)

Did you read your receipt? On the front where it says there are NO RETURNS ON SEASONAL ITEMS? This type of policy is standard for EVERY retailer in every state. No store is ever going to take back items for specific holidays after the holiday is over. There are WAY too many dishonest consumers out there which is why returns are always going to be difficult, annoying, and tedious. You can always re-gift your unwanted items you know.

This is not a rip off

AUTHOR: Shawangunk - (U.S.A.)

No store will ever refund you the full price of Christmas decorations after Christmas has already passed. This is common knowledge and goes without saying.

Furthermore, how is the store to know that you did not use the decorations for Christmas and then are trying to return them? It sounds extremely odd for someone to buy $85 worth of Christmas lights and ornaments for someone as a "gift". Just because you have a receipt (whoopee!) does not entitle you to return these seasonal items if store policy prohibits this.

Poor Gift

AUTHOR: Jax - (U.S.A.)

I'm sorry to hear that you could not return the gift some one gave you, but it would be the same story at any store you tried to go to.

Most of the major retailers that I know of don't accept any holiday merchandise in return form for any dollar amount after a certain time period (usually a week or so before the holiday).

Menard's return policy is no different. They do this to insure that they're not being ripped-off. With all due respect, there is no way to be sure that you were not lying about the merchandise you received being a gift. I've been a personal witness to several incidents where a guest has purchased something when it is at its lowest price, and then turn around and try to return it for a profit. For example: if you get x-mas lights on clearance for $1.99, and try to return them later in the month after they've gone back to their orignial price.

It's not your fault you received such a bad gift. I'd suggest next time hinting to the person whom gave the gifts to you in the first place to just get you and your husband a gift card instead.

And by the way, you could have made use of several of the lights and most likely ornaments you had. I over-spent on x-mas decor this year, and as in your situation could not return it. I painted the ornaments different colors to correspond with my dining room ceiling, and wrapped some of the lights in tulle and put them up as a border. The ornaments look like little orbs when I turn off all but the lights bordering the room. It's very pretty, but I'm the creative type.