Complaint Review: Menards

• Submitted: Fri, December 18, 2009
  • Updated: Fri, January 01, 2010

• Reported By: Barbara — Niles Michigan United States of America

Menards Credit Card practices Internet

*Author of original report: Another "Perfect"

*Consumer Suggestion: Plan ahead!!!!!!

*General Comment: Sounds good...

*Author of original report: ALFRED NEEDS SATISFACTION

*Consumer Suggestion: Barbara - ALL MENARDS TAKE PAYMENTS IN THE STORE

*Author of original report: To Alfred

*Consumer Comment: Menards Takes Payments in the Store

I need to vent my disgust and frustration with Menards credit card practices. Specifically, The Menards BIG Card as they call it. To begin with, I AM guilty of being one of those consumers who neglects to read "fine print." And evidently in this case, that's why this happened to me. I pay almost all my bills online and everyone of those I use have websites for online bill paying with "same day" payment ability. My Menards bill was due today so I went online to their website, proceeded to the "Pay bill" screen to discover that I could NOT pay my bill today, but instead had to either choose to schedule a date two days in advance or choose "Rush Payment."  I called Customer Service but got nothing but the usual runaround.  When I asked to speak to a supervisor I was put on hold for over 10 minutes until I reached a point that I decided this was how they got rid of unhappy customers - just put them on hold and leave them there.

The bottomline to this is that to pay your Menards bill you either:

#1: have to remember to go online at least two full days in advance of your due date

#2: remember to MAIL your payment at least 5 days in advance

#3: Pay an extra $15.00 to make a rush payment

#4: Pay an extra $15.00 to make a payment by phone or

#5. Pay it late and get a $20.00 late fee.

Because you can't just go to the store either.  They CAN'T TAKE PAYMENTS!

So here I am, a consumer with excellent credit wanting to pay my bill in FULL and I'm being "squeezed" for another $15.00.

I will never shop at Menards again, but instead will give Lowes and Home Depot all my business.  If enough consumers feel this way about these types of practices, companies like this will go by the wayside like so many have already.  There's too much competition out there for companies to make you pay extra to pay your bill!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/18/2009 02:34 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Menards/internet/Menards-Credit-Card-practices-Internet-541898. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Menards

Another "Perfect"

AUTHOR: Barbara - (United States of America)

I"m not sure why I'm bothering to rebutt to you as you are just another 'moron' who has missed the point.  I have moved on and have learned a lesson from my mistake. You are also someone who must live in a glass house like Alfred.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Plan ahead!!!!!!

AUTHOR: highrollinwooded - (United States of America)

As a consumer who uses credit cards on a regular basis, as well as an employee of a retail company,  I have to ask this.........WHY, oh WHY does one wait until the very day a payment is due to go online and make a payment? I also make all my payments online, and do it well in advance. On the odd occurence that I forget and the payment IS due that very day, I know in advance that I will be paying a "rush payment fee" for doing so. When customers come in to pay their bill that is due that very day, I just shake my head and wonder why in the name of god are they waiting until the last minute?????? It is NOT just this company that charges a "rush payment" for last minute Louies such as yourself. And just so you know, HSBC handles the Menards card, it has nothing to do with Menards itself, per se. Take this as a lesson learned, and move on!

#3 General Comment

Sounds good...

AUTHOR: Alfred - (USA)

I'm glad we were both able to help other conusmers with accurate information.

Also, if you believe the newer credit card laws will help you - someone that pays their bills on line and on time - I believe caution is needed here.

If the credit card industry becomes unprofitable after the newer laws go into effect, we will start being charged an annual fee to have a credit card. Especially those with great credit.

I don't know about you, but I'm in no hurry to pay for a credit card.

Take care and Merry Christmas.

AUTHOR: Barbara - (United States of America)

Well Alfred, I never thought you would become my "pen pal". I guess it will make you very happy to hear that yes, you brought to my attention that Menards is taking payments at the store now. Shame on me for making such a blatant statement that they did not. So to all who may be reading this, I was wrong, Menards NOW takes payments at the store!!! Does that make you happy? Perhaps when you called the store you could have also asked if there had ever been a time when they couldn't take payments because that used to be the case. I'm guilty of assuming that was still the policy. Which brings us back to the very beginning of all of this. I prefaced my posting with the following sentence:

"To begin with, I AM guilty of being one of those consumers who neglects to read "fine print." And evidently in this case, that's why this happened to me".

I am taking the blame for my own mistake. I experienced a frustration that day and needed to VENT my feelings as I said. Have YOU ever had to just "blow off steam"? In a roundabout way, I also felt it might help another Menards credit card user to avoid making the same mistake that I did, should they not realize the payment setup . Yes, it DOES boil down to: "Menards does not process the online payments the way I want them to". They are a big enough corporation that they can be set up just like all the others I use. I still stand by my opinion, and will no matter what yours is, that the way they have there system set up is just another way to "squeeze" a few extra dollars out of the, what you would probably call, the "irresponsible consumer." It's called CORPORATE GREED. A lot of people really do try to be responsible and I was trying to be, otherwise I would be paying their late fee of $20 instead of the $15 to keep my credit in good standing. If I had realized that they had changed their in store payment abilities, I would have gone to the store to pay it.  Believe me, this won't happen to me again. Credit card companies are scrambling to get what they can before the government requirements take effect.

I also find it interesting why you are even out there on this site responding to postings like this. Why do you care? Is it because you have nothing better to do than try to point out other peoples' stupidity. Nobody is perfect and I know you can't be either. You are intent upon making sure you've pointed out how wrong I was, so hope this has in part satisfied your desire.

#5 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Alfred - (United States of America)

What you wrote was, "MENARDS CAN'T TAKE PAYMENTS",

I corrected you, they CAN take payments. Did you take responsibility for correcting this in your follow up message? Nope.

So instead of taking personal responsibility and doing a little homework to find out the truth, you now you write, "the Menard's in my area does not accept payments".

It seems that you are wrong again.

I know because I asked. They also advised that there is no delay on the payments in the store. As long as you pay the day it's due, no late fees.

It sounds like your concern is that Menards does not process the online payments the way you want them to.

I have detailed a very good solution; after all, you went to the store to make the purchase didn't you?

If you still belive your local Menards doesn't take payments, write back with the location and I will call the store, and report what they say. Otherwise, be responsible enough to correct your own mistakes when they're brought to your attention.

To Alfred

To Alfred:

Sorry Alfred, but I feel I did take responsibility by attempting to pay my bill on time.  If you had read my post carefully, you might have known that I pay all my bills online.  This Menards website was new to me.  I did attempt to pay my bill at the store, but the Menard's in my area does not accept payments (hence the comment that the store does not accept payment).  You are missing the point, consumers are getting ripped off by credit card companies. Nowhere on Menards statement does it tell you that payments online must be made two days in advance.  You must be one of those people who live in a glass house.

Menards Takes Payments in the Store

AUTHOR: Alfred - (United States of America)

You are incorrect, Menards DOES take payments in the store. This costs nothing.

You present an interesting irony, you see, if you had spent your time accepting responsibility for waiting until the last minute to make your payment and not trying to blame others, you might have realized that you could make a payment in the store.

Good luck next time....PS. If you are planning to cancel your card, think about waiting until after you get your rebate from Menards or you'll forfit it.