Complaint Review: Merchandise Direct

• Submitted: Fri, April 03, 2009
  • Updated: Fri, April 03, 2009

• Reported By:Hanover New Hampshire
Merchandise Direct
400 Fulfillment Circle Wallingford, Connecticut U.S.A.

Merchandise Direct Buxton bags are NO bargain!! Wallingford Connecticut

*Consumer Comment: YOUR FAULT FOR BUYING AS SEEN ON TV OVERPRICED CRAP

On March 16, 2009 I placed an order online at www.buxtonbag.com for two bags (buy one, get one free) for $19.95 plus S/H. Once I entered my order, payment method, and hit the "Continue" button at the bottom of page, more pages came up offering an upgrade to deluxe for $5.00 additional per bag, and express delivery for $8.95 more. At NO time did the website provide the total order for review and/or cancellation BEFORE completion. Instead I was informed that my order had been submitted, for a total of $96.54, $54.90 for FOUR BAGS and a SHIPPING and HANDLING CHARGE of $41.64!! There was NO way to cancel or correct the order, which I would have done immediately had I been given the chance.

As soon as I received the order confirmation in my inbox, I replied to what turned out to be a "bad" email adress. Then I proceeded to call Merchandise Direct and was told that I needed to wait 24 hours for the order to post and to call back the next day. I called back on Tuesday, March 17, and was told the same thing: the order hadn't been "received" yet, and to call back the next day. However, when I called back on Wednesday, March 18, I was informed that I couldn't cancel the order because it had been shipped! I didn't authorize this order in any way, shape, or form!

I was furious and asked to speak with a supervisor. I explained the situation to his supervisor, who told me she couldn't cancel the order, couldn't reverse the charge to my debit card, and that I would have to return the bags in order to get a refund. Also, she told me I WOULD receive the ENTIRE $96.54 back, including the exorbitant fee of $41.64 for shipping and handling. Even with "express" shipping, the bags were delivered two weeks later. RIP OFF!!

As the bags were delivered USPS, I am refusing delivery in the "hopes" that I will receive a complete refund as I was told.

At this point I am livid and totally disgusted with this company's fraudulent business practices. I have submitted written complaints to the Consumer Protection Divisions of both the State of VT and CT. Hopefully someone will investigate and either make this company change its practices or shut them down.

Snapdragon
Hanover, New Hampshire

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/03/2009 06:38 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Merchandise-Direct/Wallingford-Connecticut-06494/Merchandise-Direct-Buxton-bags-are-NO-bargain-Wallingford-Connecticut-440441. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Merchandise Direct

YOUR FAULT FOR BUYING AS SEEN ON TV OVERPRICED CRAP

AUTHOR: Laurie - (U.S.A.)

YES CRAP - YES OVERPRICED AND NEVER FREE - they charge you for the so -called FREE STUFF...

You know you could have saved yourself money and aggravation by buying the bags in the store at half the price - YES HALF THE PRICE! You would have bought 2 bags for $20 - without the OVER-PRICED SHIPPING AND HANDLING

but NO - you foolishly believed you were getting a good deal when in fact you got ripped off as thousands of others have buying AS SEEN ON TV CRAPPY PRODUCTS.

A LITTLE COMMON SENSE ADVICE
ADVERTISEMENTS from the Federal Trade Commission website:

The appearance of ads in media outlets that you recognize - like your local newspaper or radio station - is no guarantee of the legitimacy of the company behind the ad.