Complaint Review: Merchant's Credit Guide; NCO Portfolio Management

• Submitted: Thu, July 31, 2008
  • Updated: Thu, July 31, 2008

• Reported By:Moscow Tennessee
Merchant's Credit Guide; NCO Portfolio Management
223 W Jackson Blvd Chicago, Illinois U.S.A.

Merchant's Credit Guide; NCO Portfolio Management zombie debt??? Chicago Illinois

Back in May, I bought some furniture using the 12 months same as cash option they offered. I am not sure it it is related, but shortly thereafter,we began getting phone calls with MCG on the caller ID. I did a quick internet look up & saw this was a scam, so I just ignored the calls.

Last week, my husband answered the phone. They asked for him by name. He told them he did not discuss financial matters over the phone & to put the matter in writing. A few days later a letter came addressed to ME!

They are trying to collect $293. The so called creditor is NOCP Portfolio Management. I know for a fact they they are part of the NCO Financial Group which is a collection agency. This tells me that they bought the accounts from NCO and are trying to collect what is known as a zombie debt.

In the letter I received from MCG, they said I could write to them & they would tell me who the original creditor was if it was not NCOP. This made me laugh for a number of reasons.

First of all, I pay all my bills on time. About 20 years ago, we did have a rough time financially, but we eventually paid all of our debt off. NONE of the collection agencies involved were NCO Financial. (of course, NCO could have bought them from another agency)

Secondly, part of my job is to make collection calls to our customers. (I call businesses that have accounts with my company). We used to turn the hard to collect accounts over to NCO Financial but stopped doing so because of their questionable collection methods.

Thirdly, there is no way I will EVER write or respond to them, because I don't have any outstanding bad debt, and, because I firmly believe in letting sleeping dogs lie. In the off chance that this is a ghost from my past, I don't want to resurrect this debt and have the statute of limitations begin all over again.

I do plan to check my credit report in about 60 days to make sure this does not show up.

Thank you for your help.

Fed up
Moscow, Tennessee

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/31/2008 01:20 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Merchants-Credit-Guide-NCO-Portfolio-Management/Chicago-Illinois-60606/Merchants-Credit-Guide-NCO-Portfolio-Management-zombie-debt-Chicago-Illinois-357794. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Merchant's Credit Guide; NCO Portfolio Management