Complaint Review: Merchant's Credit Guide, Portfolio Recovery Assoc.

• Submitted: Mon, August 20, 2007
  • Updated: Mon, August 20, 2007

• Reported By:Mesa Arizona
Merchant's Credit Guide, Portfolio Recovery Assoc.
223 W. Jackson Blvd Chicago, Illinois U.S.A.

Merchant's Credit Guide, Portfolio Recovery Assoc. Ken Hughes - collector of fraudulent debts! Chicago Illinois

I recently received a letter from Ken Hughes -- Merchants' Credit Guide co. He was trying to collect a debt on a credit card from Men's Wearhouse (assigned to Portfolio Recory Association). I discontinued using this card when I moved to Arizona years ago, and this card was paid off long ago. I have never gotten any letters from Men's Wearhouse regarding this debt.

I called the 888 number listed on the letter and briefly explained (to a message machine) the situation and gave my phone number. Then I went on the internet and researched. I wish I had done that first. I was appalled at the number of complaints against this company.

Interestingly enough, the letter was not sent to my business mailing address which all my credit cards have on file. It looks like Ken Hughes went "fishing" and came up with my name. Then again, from other posts on this site, it looks like "Ken Hughes" doesn't really exist -- just like the debt "he" is trying to collect!

Do I respond to the letter which states that I must request in writing to dispute the claim? I've already given a phone number and now it looks like I'm up for LOTS of unwanted harrassing calls!

Maf
Mesa, Arizona

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/20/2007 06:16 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Merchants-Credit-Guide-Portfolio-Recovery-Assoc/Chicago-Illinois-60606/Merchants-Credit-Guide-Portfolio-Recovery-Assoc-Ken-Hughes-collector-of-fraudulent-d-268729. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Merchant's Credit Guide, Portfolio Recovery Assoc.