Complaint Review: Merchants' Credit Guide

• Submitted: Fri, January 19, 2007
  • Updated: Sun, January 28, 2007

• Reported By:Honolulu Hawaii
Merchants' Credit Guide
223 W Jackson Blvd Chicago, Illinois U.S.A.

Merchants' Credit Guide - MCGC Reporting Fraud From Hawaii, Never had this account ripoff Chicago Illinois

*Author of original report: Merchant's Credit Guide Co - MCGC Reporting Fraud From Hawaii, Never had this account! RIPOFF Chicago, Illinois

I just received a letter from MCGC saying that I owed $244.41 for an account that I never had. I double checked my credit report and this debt did not show up anywhere as I knew it would not, but they did make an inquiry via Trans Union and this did show up on my report.

What do I do? Should I just ignore it? Should I send them a Cease Communication letter? Does the SOL apply to this? Can anyone help me?

Honolulu, Hawaii

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/19/2007 10:42 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Merchants-Credit-Guide/Chicago-Illinois-60606/Merchants-Credit-Guide-MCGC-Reporting-Fraud-From-Hawaii-Never-had-this-account-ripoff-231557. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Merchants' Credit Guide

AUTHOR: Kathleen - (U.S.A.)

I just received a letter in the mail from Ken Hughes stating that I owed $244.41 to a comapany I never had an account with. All of my accounts are current and this supposed debt does not appear anywhere on my credit report or anything stating there has been collection action taken. I did see that MCGC had gone on a phishing expedition and accessed my credit information via Trans Union.

Ater receiving the letter it sounded fishy so I researched the company on the web and found this site listing all of the complaints. What do I do? Should I just ignore it? The interesting thing is that they used my maiden name, which I have not had for over 10 years!

My Dad called me yesterday and said that a company with a completely different name had called him and left a message that said I needed to contact them immediately regarding an unpaid debt. I told him that if they called again to either not answer the phone or just say they had the wrong number. These people are ruthless!

So back to my original question.... What do I do? From all that I have read, it seems to me that even if it had been a legitimate debt the SOL would already have run out. Can these idiots effect my credit score? HELP!!!!!