• Report: #203173

• Submitted: Thu, July 27, 2006
  • Updated: Thu, July 27, 2006

• Reported By:Springville Utah
Merchants' Credit Guide
223 W. Jackson Blvd. Chicago, Illinois U.S.A.

Merchants' Credit Guide - MCGC ripoff dishonest fraudulent billing scam artist scum Chicago Illinois

I recently received a letter from Merchants' Credit Guide Co. dated July 18, 2006, stating that I owed their "client" CFB Financial III LLC (one of their other names) a total of $817.01. At first I was puzzled because this amount was very close to the amount of an old student loan that I had closed last year. I immediately dug through all the papers on this loan to check the payoff and amount and also that I had verification that the loan was paid. All of these were positively verified -- also, the loan amount was slightly less than the disputed amount by about 70 dollars.

After a sleepless night wondering where this debt was coming from, I got online and really got my eyes opened. I am soooo glad I didn't telephone these people! I just felt that something wasn't quite kosher. For one thing, my husband and I recently bought a home and, having seen our credit reports, I am dead certain there was nothing like this on my credit.

I also went on BudHibbs.com and have found a couple of letters I will use. I am first going to send a debt verification letter, although I really do not believe I owe any debt to this company. One thing that was a real red flag was the name of the original creditor, Wells Fargo Financial Bank. Wells Fargo has only recently (within the last 10 years) really come into Utah. I wouldn't have had any dealings with them because I was living in Europe for the past 8 years and only recently returned. Even before the move I wouldn't have dealt with them financially, so I do not know where this would have come from.

I am also preparing to send a cease and desist letter, should the original verification letter prove problematic. The statute of limitations in Utah is 4 or 6 years, depending on the type of contract/agreement, but I cannot, for the life of me, figure this one out. All I can think is that they are going after me because of my name, and I have not used my current name for credit in the USA up until the past two years, so this makes no sense.

I would be more than interested in getting these guys. If this arrived in my elderly mother's mailbox she would freak out! I can just imagine what others are going through. I would appreciate any advice as to how to get these guys out of the business of blackmail, mail fraud, and terrorizing consumers.

Rebecca
Springville, Utah

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/27/2006 10:38 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Merchants-Credit-Guide/Chicago-Illinois-60606/Merchants-Credit-Guide-MCGC-ripoff-dishonest-fraudulent-billing-scam-artist-scum-Chica-203173. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Merchants' Credit Guide