Complaint Review: Merchant's Credit Guide

• Submitted: Tue, June 10, 2008
  • Updated: Sat, August 09, 2008

• Reported By:Schenectady New York
Merchant's Credit Guide
223 W Jackson Blvd Chicago, Illinois U.S.A.

Merchant's Credit Guide The Company wanted money for a debt using my check by phone or credit card, I told them no, I'm disabled, with a terminal illness. I asked the guy not to call again. He said he wanted to use my credit card to set up a payment arrangement or the calls would continue. Chicago Illinois

*Consumer Suggestion: Steph, you're mistaken

*Consumer Comment: RE:

*Consumer Suggestion: send a stop communications letter

I was called by a man from Merchant's credit, and was told that I owed a sum of money of which I won't say here. When I got the bill which in capital letters had "MCM", I noticed that the addresses were different on where I mailed my payment. Not only that man on the phone was interested in knowing what the toll free number was on my bill. He wanted my checking act. number or credit card number in order to settle the debt, or to make any arrangement on the debt. I informed him that I am disabled and not to call my house again. I have a terminal illness, not only that but he called me on a Sabbath. He said the calls would continue and he has my social security number. Today I received my Credit report, they looked me up on May 22, 2008. I know that Merchants Cr Guide Company is bogus. I have a cell phone and looked up all the collection agencies in chicago.

Linda
Schenectady, New York

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/10/2008 01:45 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Merchants-Credit-Guide/Chicago-Illinois-60606/Merchants-Credit-Guide-The-Company-wanted-money-for-a-debt-using-my-check-by-phone-or-cre-338957. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Merchant's Credit Guide

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Steph, you're mistaken

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

""send a stop communications letter
I would send them a stop communications letter cerified. Once they receive that letter they can no longer contact you by phone or mail. If they do you can sue them for harrassment""

Incorrect. The FDCPA allows them to contact the consumer debtor ONCE after receiving such a letter to inform the consumer debtor as to any further action they are going to take, i.e. close the file, return assignment to creditor, file a lawsuit, etc.

IF they contact you beyone the scope of informing you of their intended future legal actions, then there is a violation of the FDCPA and grounds for a civil suit against them for the violation.

READ the FDCPA at www.ftc.gov.

RE:

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

Merchant's Credit Guide is not a bogus firm....it is a real, bottom-feeder debt collection agency.

Send them a letter via Certified Mail + Return Receipt stating:

Per the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, I am requesting:

- written validation of this alleged debt and that said alleged debt is within the statute of limitations
- Cease all verbal communications with me about this alleged debt.
==========================================

NEVER debt collectors your checking account # for payment...they can take out WAY more that you authorized....possibly leading to tons of bounced check fees. Pay only via USPS money order.

You have important rights under a federal law called the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. You have the right to request written validation of the debt. Debt collectors cannot take your firstborn child, nor can they send the police to your residence to have your arrested for not paying them. Debt collectors cannot be abusive and they cannot pretend to be (or work for) attorneys when this is not the case. Anytime a debt collector threatens legal action, per the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, you have the right to speak with their [alleged] attorney. Request to know the attorney's full name and his/her license # in the state bar association.

Read up on the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and understand your rights:

#3 Consumer Suggestion

send a stop communications letter

AUTHOR: Steph - (U.S.A.)