Complaint Review: Merchants Tire & Auto Centers

• Updated: Fri, September 14, 2012

• Reported By: DJ — Virginia Beach Virginia United States of America
Merchants Tire & Auto Centers
1772 General Booth Blvd Virginia Beach, Virginia United States of America

Merchants Tire & Auto Centers Car Inspection Rip Off and Dishonest Employee! Do NOT bring your car here! Virginia Beach, Virginia

Took my Honda Pilot here for an inspection.  Got a phone call from the person doing the inspection, his name was "Jay". He said that my windshield wipers needed changing in order to pass inspection, that was it.  I asked how much it would cost to have them change it and he said that they only have the premium wipers which costs about $23 each wiper and do not have any of the lower grade wipers which were obviously much cheaper.  It was a bit pricey, but I figured what the hell, I needed it to pass so I gave the okay to change them.

Upon arriving to pick up my vehicle, I went into the shop to pay for my inspection.  There were a few people ahead of me, so I just looked around the shop and lo and behold!  I spotted a bunch of windshield wipers in the display.  Picked up the premium one, yes ok that was there and yes it was over $20 each.  Then picked up the other package of wipers which were way cheaper, looked at the specs, my vehicle is listed as one that will fit.  Uhhhh, why did he tell me they don't have any of the lower priced wipers?

Headed to the counter and asked to speak to Jay.  He came in and I told him what he quoted me and confronted him with the other wipers and why did he tell me there were only premium wipers, to which he actually dodged me and avoided the questions, started speaking to another customer and left the shop to head back to the garage.  I was left standing there!

Ok, so it's not the money I'm complaining about.  I could care less.  It's the fact that he had to lie in order to get more money out of me!!! I'm in the US Navy and my guys whom a lot of them come straight out of bootcamp, who make little as it is, don't need to go to places like these and get taken advantage of.  That is despicable and unacceptable in my book!  I took down the number for their corporate office and filed a complaint with them as well.  They seemed to be appalled at what had happened and assured me there will be an investigation into the matter.  I will be spreading the word at my entire command, but I hope this will forewarn others.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/14/2012 05:56 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Merchants-Tire-Auto-Centers/Virginia-Beach-Virginia-23454/Merchants-Tire-Auto-Centers-Car-Inspection-Rip-Off-and-Dishonest-Employee-Do-NOT-bring-941014. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Merchants Tire & Auto Centers