Complaint Review: Mercury Insurance Group - Mechanical Breakdown Division (Andrew)

• Submitted: Wed, June 17, 2009
  • Updated: Wed, May 16, 2012

• Reported By:Austin Texas
Mercury Insurance Group - Mechanical Breakdown Division (Andrew)
www.mercuryinsurance.com/mechanicalbc Oklahoma City, Oklahoma U.S.A.

Mercury Insurance Group - Mercury Insurance Mechanical Breakdown Department Andrew) Disturbing Customer Service Oklahoma City Oklahoma

*Consumer Comment: Mercury's bad name???

*Consumer Comment: Mercury Extended Warranties

Mercury Insurance Company is a bad company to deal with and more of a scam. They do not want to honor any repairs covered on the warranty and if they do, they do not want to pay for all the charges that are included in the repairs. I took my vehicle to the repair facility and they indicated that I had a leak in my oil pan, I needed my brakes worked on and some other stuff that was wrong with the vehicle. I presented the repair notice to the facility and requested them to contact the warranty company and see what they will cover. The company declined every other repair except for the oil pan leak. The repair facility then in turn got in touch with me and informed me what the warranty company had agreed to. I then informed them it's okay and they can go ahead and fix only what the warranty company will cover.
The repair facility gave me a call a couple of hours later and informed me that the job was done and that we could go ahead and pick up the vehicle. When I got to the shop, they said that I had to pay all the charges and will be refunded by the warranty company. I was skeptical from the get go and did not want to risk paying, and not getting my money back. Furthermore, on the repair notice I presented to the repair facility, the company indicates that they deal with the repair facility directly, and not through customer to the repair facility. In the company's contract info, they specify that the only cost that the customer is responsible for is the $50 deductible with any authorized repairs.
I then called the warranty company and informed them of the charges presented to me by the repair facility. They proceeded to ask me to request the repair facility to call them and request the payment from the warranty company (so much for the company dealing directly with the repair facility). The repair facility got in contact with them and the warranty co only remitted partial payment of the work order, stating that they will not cover the extra charges entailed in the work order to fix the oil pan. At the end I had to pay the $50 deductible and some extra charges that the co. did not cover, charges for work performed to fix the oil pan.
After I payed the extra amount, I then proceeded to contact the warranty co, to see if we had some kind of misunderstanding to what is covered and what is not. I then got on the phone with a guy named Andrew, who was very rude and made me feel like I was insured by a fake company. He indicated the company does not cover for shop charges incurred while fixing the oil pan, and also they will not cover for the oil that was changed. I then called the repair facility and asked them why they did an oil change when it was not approved by the company. The repair facility informed me that with Firestone's company policy, when changing out the oil pan, they cannot put back the oil that was there prior to draining. They informed me, for them to be able to work on the oil pan, they have to drain the oil. That is extra work entailed in fixing the oil pan that they declined to cover. When I tried to reason out with the company, informing them that I just did an oil change literally less than a week to this date the guy (Andrew) got so rude with me telling me he does not care, and stated that what was approved is all they are paying for, and anything else, I have to pick it up with the repair facility.( so much for feeling covered.) He then proceeded to put me on speaker phone where his co-workers inclusive were all just laughing on the phone. I then requested to speak to his supervisor and he put me on hold then hung up. This is one of the worst companies I have ever dealt with, they do not care about the customer, all the think about is getting your money and not keeping their part of the contract. It's very discouraging that they are a bad reflection to one of the best banks that my wife and I have ever dealt with(((REDACTED))) If you can, please be very careful when dealing with Mercury Insurance Group P.O Box 7828866 Oklahoma City, OK 73172 -8866. I would advise anyone that is looking to purchase their contract to run while they can. I would recommend (((REDACTED))) to anyone who is looking for a vehicle or home loan anytime, they put the customer first and establish a good relationship. Again, be very aware of the Mercury insurance group.

Austin, Texas

font color="red"> sorry, allowing you to give a competitors name would instigate others to just file against their competition, to only come back later to suggest their company your comments on this policy are welcome! CLICK here to see why Rip-off Report, as a matter of policy, deleted either a phone number, link or e-mail address from this Report.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/17/2009 04:29 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Mercury-Insurance-Group-Mechanical-Breakdown-Division-Andrew/Oklahoma-City-Oklahoma-73172-8866/Mercury-Insurance-Group-Mercury-Insurance-Mechanical-Breakdown-Department-Andrew-Distur-462358. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Mercury Insurance Group - Mechanical Breakdown Division (Andrew)

Mercury's bad name???

AUTHOR: chris - (United States of America)

I have also purchased several mechanical breakdown plans from Mercury, however I have had only positive experiences.

I have had air conditioner issues which were fixed above my satisfaction as well as timing belts replaced and a power window motor fixed.

The mechanical breakdown plans have more than paid for themselves in my case.  I buy the warranty from Mercury on my new cars for approximately $500 when the car dealership price is around $2000.  I also get $0 deductible

I also have Mercury for my personal auto insurance and have had 6 claims with zero issues.  Claims were handled quickly and customer service was excellent.  Several accidents were my fault however I have also had comprehensive claims which were handled above my expectations when a shopping cart hit my car and a scrap of metal on a freeway another time.

In addition I have Mercury for my personal Homeowner insurance and have not had any claims however the price I pay for both home and auto are much less than any quotes I have ever gotten for similar insurance and I shop my rate every year or two.

In my opinion, a few bad experiences are giving Mercury a bad name.  When compared to the hundreds of thousands of people like me who are very happy with Mercury, its obvious there are some bad reviews that may not represent Mercury the way they actually are... a great company.

Mercury Extended Warranties

AUTHOR: Iceman - (U.S.A.)

I have had about 4 extended warranties over the years, and I have a Mercury policy now. It is by far the best extended warranty I've had. What specific parts were charged for? Are there any exclusions in the contract for these items? I really had to read mine to understand it.