Complaint Review: Mercy Medical Equipment, American Homecare Supply

• Submitted: Sat, June 25, 2005
  • Updated: Sat, June 25, 2005

• Reported By:Buffalo New York
Mercy Medical Equipment, American Homecare Supply
2170 Union Rd West Seneca, New York U.S.A.

Mercy Medical Equipment, American Homecare Supply ripoff on power wheelchair West Seneca New York

On 4/23/01 I signed for delivery of a Jazzy 1120 power wheelchair. They made no adjustments whatsoever to it upon delivery, as they are supposedto do, just dumped it in my living room and left. When my aide tried to assist me into the chair it tried to tip over on me! (This happened many times) The tip wheels were VERY high off the floor and I'm an amputee, couldn't jump clear if I tried. The armrests were VERY high, my arms were literally almost horizontal with my shoulders. The seat cushion had a HARD ridge down the center which I have since verified with 6 people who deal with wheelchairs, is made for people with cerebral palsy. I do not have cerebral palsy! It took me three years of fighting with the company to get them to come out and take in to fix it properly.

On 2/12/04 they delivered the chair back to me with a different seat cushion that does not begin to fit me, a back that does not fit me , a headrest that looks like something out of the 1920's, charged for push handles that were not supplied, footplates that were not supplied and batteries which I did not need. They lowered the armrests, did not lower the tip wheels, and there was/is a major electrical problem that does not allow the chiar to hold a charge and makes it useless to me. $6,282 for insurance to buy the chair and $1795 for these so called repairs. I have called local and state Medicaid, the State Attorney general's office, all to no avail. Their response has been to take it back to the same people who messed it up to begin with and let them suck at the Medicaid trough a third time! (I'm certain they caused the electrical problem for just that reason.) God knows, I never got to ride in the chair enough to do any kind of damage; it looks new. I am at my wits end as no one will assist on this. Apparently I'm the only one who is highly offended that this kind of money was spent and I have a chair I can't use. I've also been told repeatedly that I can't even apply for a new chair till after 5 years is up.

As my health deteriorates, it is harder and harder to push myself around in my 6 year old manual chair (which is falling apart) and Medicaid does not pay for repairs to that; they see the power chair as my primary chair even though it doesn't even work or fit me. This is insane, I hope someone can help.

Geralyn
Buffalo, New York

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/25/2005 08:30 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Mercy-Medical-Equipment-American-Homecare-Supply/West-Seneca-New-York-14224/Mercy-Medical-Equipment-American-Homecare-Supply-ripoff-on-power-wheelchair-West-Seneca-N-147470. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Mercy Medical Equipment, American Homecare Supply