Complaint Review: Merle Hay Funeral Home

• Submitted: Tue, March 24, 2009
  • Updated: Tue, March 24, 2009

• Reported By:Indianola Iowa
Merle Hay Funeral Home
4400 Merle Hay Rd Des Moines, Iowa U.S.A.

Merle Hay Funeral Home Failure to Provide Promised Services Des Moines Iowa

In August of 2005 I purchased a niche in the columbarium at the Merle Hay Funeral Home to inter the cremains of a loved one. The manager of the funeral home informed me that it was the policy of the Home to allow the decorations in the niche to be changed on a yearly basis at no additiional charge. When I asked that this service be written into the contract I was told that it was not necessary as this was just an additional service provided by the Home.

Three years later later when I contacted the funeral home to request that I be allowed to add an item to the niche I was informed that there would be a $60.00 charge. When I asked to speak with the manager that promised this service I was informed that he was no longer there and the home was under new management. The new manager told me that he would allow me to add an item to the niche for $25.00 on a one time basis. I told him that since I was promised this service on a yearly basis I believed that I was entitled at least on a one time basis to access the niche and add the desired item without charge. The manager refused. I then filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau but the funeral home's manager rejected the complaint.

I again informed the manager that I wanted a one time acces to the niche without charge and would gladly pay the $60.00 access charge thereafter should I want access again. The funeral home manager again refused.

I recommend that anyone who may require the services of this funeral home be sure to get everything in writing as they are inflexible when it comes to honoring promises that customers may have thought were made in good faith.

Indianola, Iowa

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/24/2009 02:26 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Merle-Hay-Funeral-Home/Des-Moines-Iowa-50310/Merle-Hay-Funeral-Home-Failure-to-Provide-Promised-Services-Des-Moines-Iowa-437210. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Merle Hay Funeral Home