Complaint Review: Merrick Bank

• Submitted: Fri, July 25, 2003
  • Updated: Sat, November 22, 2003

• Reported By:Cleveland Ohio
Merrick Bank
P.O. Box 5000 Draper, Utah U.S.A.

Merrick Bank Another Merrick Nextcard Rippoff Draper Utah

*Consumer Comment: we did not receive any statements or notices for payments

*Consumer Comment: They are a TOTAL screw-up!

I also had a problem when Merrick bought Nextcard. I had been fine with Nextcard, making payments mostly on time, and next thing I know I got this phone call from a woman demanding money from me.

She said she was from a company called Merrick bank and that I must pay her a large sum of money (around $200). She said that I did not pay for quite a long time. I advised her that I had no knowledge of a "Merrick Bank" and she said that she sent me a letter in the mail a couple months prior advising me that Merrick bought out Nextcard. She was very rude and eventually she got money out of me.

That was a big mistake. Knowing what I know now, I shouldnt have given her any money. I recieved only one statement from them (after the contact by the rude lady) and nothing else. I do not know what my account number is, and I never received a credit card from this company.

Since I never received any information from this company after the initial letter after the phone conversation, I assumed that I had been scammed and that they really didnt buy Nextcard. I didnt pay anything else.

Now they sent me to collections, and I am disputing the validity of this debt with the collection agency since I dont know what my account number is (except for the little part that is on my credit report) and since I never signed a written contract with them! I'll be honest, I really liked Nextcard (one of the few Credit Cards I actually liked) but when I signed the Nextcard agreement, that was for Nextcard only, not for Merrick. If need be, I will have to take this to court. I refuse to pay Merrick another cent.

Liz
Cleveland, Ohio

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/25/2003 05:25 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Merrick-Bank/Draper-Utah-84020/Merrick-Bank-Another-Merrick-Nextcard-Rippoff-Draper-Utah-64621. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Merrick Bank

we did not receive any statements or notices for payments

AUTHOR: Mike - (U.S.A.)

My wife and I both had Nextcard accounts at 9.99% rate each...we received a notice stating they went bankrupt and our accounts would be closed...after that, we did not receive any statements or notices for payments...then, when we finally did receive a statement my wife's interest rate jumped to 28%, due to late payments...but there was no forwarding address or phone number for us to make a payment...my account must have been overlooked because I still have it and the interest rate remains at 9.99%...I am still paying it off, but have been wondering if I have to pay them off since they went bankrupt?...we finally received a notice with an updated address and phone number for the company collecting payments for Nextcards accounts...they kept telling us they had no authority to change the interest rates and take off late fees, but they sure as hell had the authority to take our money...not sure if this is merrick bank collecting our particular debt, but we make payments to cardmemberservices.net... sound familiar to anyone?...we paid off her account because of the ridiculous rate...but mine still remains and I am skeptical of seeking legal advice and paying $75-$100 for a consult for them to tell me there is nothing they can do for me...anyone have any advice or updated info...please postit below..

They are a TOTAL screw-up!

AUTHOR: Donna - (U.S.A.)

I agree with you 100%. They are a TOTAL screw-up!
They have screwed up my credit report BAD! I am very upset about it. I HAD a Nextcard, and was pleased with it. until they went defunct. When Merrick took over, I owed EXACTLEY $0....NOW They will be glad to "settle with me" for $280.! WHAT????