milk

P.O. Box 9201 Old Bethel Page, New York United States of America
  • Phone: 1-800-253-2322
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

Merrick Bank Customer Service I've never done business with Merrick Bank, or any DBA, yet I'm getting collection notices. Old Bethel Page, New York

Three months ago, I started getting phone calls from a collection agency named FBCS, Inc. They informed me that I had a past due amount of $911.96 from a place called Merrick Bank, which until then I had never heard of. They informed me that it was from an account I had opened in 2009. That is impossible, as I was disabled, and had no income or any financial transactions that year, aside from a meager state disability check that barely paid the few bills I had. I informed the collection agent  of such, and he was very professional, and promised to look into it.

A week later, I received another notice that Merrick was willing to settle the account for twenty cents on the dollar, or $182.40. That kind of drop raised yet another red flag for me. I'd never heard of a creditor willing to so quickly settle for such a small sum.

Finally, last week, I was sent the most recent correspondence from the collection agency asking that, if I wish to protest this as a fraud case, I needed to obtain a police report and send them a copy. [continued below]....
..... I called my local police department, and they informed me that identity fraud is a federal matter, and I'd have to take it up with the FBI. ANY creditor would know this, so that's red flag #2.

I do not believe Merrick has a case against me, and I don't know how they got my social security number. But I will send them a letter stating that if they intend to pursue the matter, I will consider their attempts as fraud in itself, and I will contact the FBI to make a complaint against them. I doubt it will do any good, but I can only do so much without spending thousands on a lawyer over a $900 debt. Even if you stay clear of them, you aren't necessarily safe.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/02/2013 01:33 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Merrick-Bank/Old-Bethel-Page-New-York-11804-9001/Merrick-Bank-Customer-Service-Ive-never-done-business-with-Merrick-Bank-or-any-DBA-yet-1040056. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Merrick Bank