Complaint Review: Merrick Bank

• Updated: Mon, October 31, 2011

• Reported By: Jerry — Grand Island Nebraska United States of America
Merrick Bank

Merrick Bank Sends fake email to customers to get more money from them Internet

*Consumer Comment: You said..

*Consumer Comment: Wait a minute

I got an email from Merrick Bank yesterday.  It indicated that I was past due on my credit account with them.  Iam current and have never been late with them.  However am over limit by $2.00.  I logged into their website to check if maybe I forgot to pay them.  I had not. I then called the customer service number on the website.  The rep I spoke with stated that I was in fact NOT past due, but was over limit (this I already knew).  I asked him why I got the email.  He stated that it was "erroneous".  I had him close the account right then and there, citing I would not do business with a company that cant even send out accurate information to a customer.  If they are going to send out "erroneous" emails to customers, who knows what these people will do.  When I had him close the account. he did not even try to talk me into keeping the account open, nor did he offer any kind of resolution for the time I had to waste in dealing with their mess up.  I am writing this more as a warning to other unsuspecting customers who may just pay if they get an email like that.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/30/2011 02:09 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Merrick-Bank/internet/Merrick-Bank-Sends-fake-email-to-customers-to-get-more-money-from-them-Internet-793531. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Merrick Bank

You said..

AUTHOR: Susan - (USA)

" When I had him close the account. he did not even try to talk me into keeping the account open, "

Did you expect to be begged to keep your account open?  My guess is you owe a lot and dont have a great payment record if it came down to $2.00

FYI You still owe whatever your balance is, you just cant add to it by charging anymore.

Wait a minute

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

Just so I have this right.  You were over your credit limit by $2.  They sent you an e-mail that said you were past due but because you were not past due, only over your limit, you think this is some huge scam.  The reason you think it is a scam is because that may cause an unsuspecting customer to actually make an extra payment they don't have to.

I guess you have never heard of the word "interest".  You see that is what banks charge you for the privilege of borrowing money on a credit card.  The more you borrow the more interest they can charge you.  So the only one you are hurting by paying more than you "have to" is the bank.  Because that lowers your balance and they get less interest.

In thinking about the e-mail, it is not like you didn't have anything wrong with your account.  Both past due and over the limit are not good things.  In fact it is actually good to get any amount over the limit paid down ASAP, and some credit card companies consider any amount over your credit limit as due immediately,  so it could have been technically past due according to the terms.

- Yea you were over the limit.  I doubt you even know how much of a negative that is considered.

Now just know it is not actually "closed" until you have zero balance, they just won't let you charge any additional purchases.  Until you have a zero balance you will receive monthly statements and need to pay at least the minimum required.  Until it is a zero balance you will continue to be charged interest on the unpaid balance, and subject to any fees or collection efforts if you don't.

exact