Complaint Review: Methods Consultants

• Updated: Wed, May 01, 2013

• Reported By: JCM-Jeff — Ann Arbor Michigan
Methods Consultants
Ypsilanti, Michigan USA

Methods Consultants Demanding, Threatening, and Unprofessional Ypsilanti Michigan

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Response to JCM Media

*Author of original report: Resolved

I am submitting this report to warn any future clients or vendors looking to work with Jeremy Albright of Methods Consultants about our experience with him as a client.

We are a web design and digital marketing firm, and Jeremy contracted us to redesign his website and install a content management system. Our initial quote was 13.5K to complete the job. He asked us to bring the budget down to eight thousand, which we did, explaining that we would have to cut some estimated hours in a few key phases, such as quality assurance and bug testing. He approved of this direction...

"Hi Jeff,

Thanks, this is very doable.  If you really get pinched for time within this budget, the CMS for the free tutorials is not really necessary.  I’ve been hand coding the HTML for these all along anyways.  I really only need the HTML/CSS template to work with.  It’s the controlled access where I need the help.  Also, there is no rush other than I’d like to go live by the end of April."

Once the project was winding down, we conducted a final review meeting in our office to go over every page, including the functionality of the content management system. Everything was approved at that time.

Over the course of the past month, Jeremy has continued to submit change requests and demands for free services, outside of the initial scope of work. He has also threatened to tarnish our company's reputation online if we did not cave to his demands and provide free services.

"If you can't complete a job for what you bill, then don't take it.  The result is one pissed off client who is, pending your actions the next couple of days, about to go to Yelp and other online forums to warn others about your terrible service.  Don't push it."

Quite a change in tone between those two emails. JCM bills on a time and materials basis. We don't sell widgets; we sell professional hourly services. For future vendors and/or clients of Jeremy Albright of Methods Consultants (the "company" is just him) please be wary of our experience with him. It started out wonderfully but quickly devolved into the worst professional relationship I have experienced in my 10 years in the advertising industry.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/01/2013 09:59 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Methods-Consultants/Ypsilanti-Michigan/Methods-Consultants-Demanding-Threatening-and-Unprofessional-Ypsilanti-Michigan-1047631. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Methods Consultants

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Response to JCM Media

AUTHOR: Jeremy Albright - ()

Please note that in this relationship I was the customer and JCM Media was the service provider.  I am happy to supply references from very satisfied customers.

The report filed by JCM Media states that I and my company (which also employs multiple Ph.D. candidates at local research universities as part-time statistical consultants) are demanding, threatening, and unprofessional.  Over the course of the four months JCM Media has worked on the website (which is still not up as I write this) there were several errors on their end which I have requested be fixed, including back-end apps that did not produce the correct output on the front-end, formatting errors, cut-and-paste errors, and dead links. My company also provides a service at an hourly rate and does not make widgets, but when we make errors in our work, as all people do, we do not expect other companies to pay for the time that it takes to correct those errors.

When I requested one last set of fixes to the apps that were not functioning correctly, Jeff emailed me to say

At this point, these additional requests for free work have become not only tedious, but bordering on rude.

It was in response to this email that I told Jeff to go live with the site and if he were to instead continue to be confrontational I would leave an unflattering review on Yelp.  This is where I believe his accusation of "threatening" came in, and Jeff's response:

Please consider this the end of our professional relationship.

If you want to get into a pissing match online, that's fine... How very professional of you to pose threats while demanding free services.

You asked us to create an improved site for the same budget as your previous instance, yet expected absolute perfection. (Even though in a previous email you acknowledged the reduced budget and offered to help if the estimated hours got tight.)

I was understandably angry at being called “rude” when I sent the “threatening” email, but cooler heads prevailed and we did not attempt to take business away from another company due to a misunderstanding. It is unfortunate that JCM Media did not come to the same conclusion. This is the first such misunderstanding that my company has experienced, and, based on Jeff’s response, this sort of misunderstanding is unusual for his company also. Therefore, I do not discourage you from trying out his company, as I am sure that they are in business for a reason and can do quality work.

Resolved

AUTHOR: JCM-Jeff - ()

This issue has been resolved. Please visit http://methodsconsultants.com for any statistical consulting/teaching/or training needs.