Complaint Review: Michael Jedlowski

• Submitted: Sat, February 23, 2008
  • Updated: Wed, February 24, 2010

• Reported By:Glendale Arizona
Michael Jedlowski
6910 W Bell Road Glendale, Arizona U.S.A.

Michael Jedlowski (Ashley Furniture) Forcing Illegal Labor and violating Az labor laws!! Extortion Glendale Arizona

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Regarding free labor

*Author of original report: Shirley Firstenburg, "The true evolution of a managerial bottom feeder"

On Nov 26th, 2007, the day after Thanksgiving! We had to be at work at 5:30 AM. We were not allowed to leave until 8:00 that night. That is not necessarily against the law, but it is slightly unethical. What was illegal is that is was a mandatory work day and the sales staff hade to provide a helper, family member, relative, wife etc, etc to assist the sales staff with the overflow of customers! When the some of the new sales staff asked if Michael Jedlowski was going to pay the helpers, Shirley Furstenburg the sales manager laughed and told us that we would have to pay them out of our own pocket!

A few days before the big sale day we were told that it was mandatory to work the day after thanksgiving but we were not to report to work unless we provided the company with a helper! Essentially we were providing Michael Jedlowski with free labor and expected to pay them out of our own pocket and be held accountable if we didn't have a helper!

That is illegal! I have spoken with several current and past sales associates both current and former employees and they have agreed to make a statement and verify what I have written.
Happy Ex-employee!

Former employee
Glendale, Arizona

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/23/2008 08:59 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Michael-Jedlowski/Glendale-Arizona-85308/Michael-Jedlowski-Ashley-Furniture-Forcing-Illegal-Labor-and-violating-Az-labor-laws-E-311481. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Michael Jedlowski

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Regarding free labor

AUTHOR: anonymous - (United States of America)

I am an ex-employee of Ashley Furniture.  I worked in Las Vegas and I also had to bring a friend or relative the day after Thanksgiving.  Since I didn't have anyone to bring I brought my son who is under working age without a work permit. I was told that Michael  Jedlowski and Judy wanted everyone to come in with a helper or not to come in to work at all. Everyone had to provide their helpers name weeks in advance so management could fax it to the owner.This is illegal, how can you expect someone to work whom hasn't been drug tested or no background has been approved.  What if someone gets hurt who is liable.

Shirley Firstenburg, "The true evolution of a managerial bottom feeder"

AUTHOR: Former Employee - (U.S.A.)

I had the unfortunate opportunity to work for Shirley Firstenburg for about a year. She is the current sales manager at Glendale location of Ashley Furniture Homestore. Working for her was painful. She is the wife of the General Manager, Jim Firstenburg, who is one of the dumbest people I have ever met. I guess the old cliche, "fruit doesn't fall from from the tree" is accurate when it comes to them.

Stay away from Ashley furniture. They lie, steal, cheat and bully customers!!

Sincerely