Complaint Review: Michael Shorstein - Brian T. Kelly - Shorstein & Kelly

• Submitted: Fri, January 16, 2009
  • Updated: Tue, January 17, 2012

• Reported By:Buffalo New York
Michael Shorstein - Brian T. Kelly - Shorstein & Kelly
3821 Atlantic Boulevard Jacksonville, Florida U.S.A.

Michael Shorstein Brian T. Kelly - Shorstein & Kelly, Attorneys At Law, P.A. Michael Shorstein and Kathleen Stevens Steal Babies Jacksonville Florida

*Consumer Comment: Not true

*Author of original report: Dear Misleading

*General Comment: Misleading Review

*Consumer Comment: They were wonderful to me.

Michael Shorstein and Kathleen Stevens, Director of Adoptions in the Jewish Family & Community Services of Jacksonville FL came into my hospital room the day after my daughter was born.

I had indicated I was interested in adoption, however, made it clear to her as as well as Michael Shorstein, that I wanted to keep my baby. They told me that I was not good enough, and that my daughter deserved the best, a mother and father, financial and emotional security, and all the things that I could not provide, they said. I said that I wanted to be able to keep my baby, saying this over and over. I did not want to do adoption, I wanted help in raising my baby.

They then promised that if I signed the papers, I could change my mind, and that if I went through with it, I'd have an open relationship with my daughter on an ongoing basis. I'd be able to visit her, and have a relationship with her.

After trying to convince them for hours that I wanted to keep my baby, I finally gave in, not having the strength to fight them. I was exhausted from the hospital stay, the labor, and the medications.

All Lies. I did change my mind as soon as I got out of the hospital. The papers I had signed while in an altered state from the doctor's meds were post dated, and they said I could not change my mind.

Since then, the adoption had been closed, and I didn't even get to say goodbye to my baby. I received updates for 3 years sporadically, and then the 'adoptive parents' did not write to me again, and the agency refused to contact them again.

Adoption in Florida is corrupt, especially with First Coast Adoption Professionals and Michael Shorstein. They acted as though they were representing me, however, they only represent adoptive parents, as they are the ones paying them.

Adoption Professionals and Adoption Lawyers should not be allowed in hospital rooms!

Heather
Daytona Beach, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/16/2009 05:17 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Michael-Shorstein-Brian-T-Kelly-Shorstein-Kelly/Jacksonville-Florida-32247/Michael-Shorstein-Brian-T-Kelly-Shorstein-Kelly-Attorneys-At-Law-PA-Michael-Shor-413038. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Michael Shorstein - Brian T. Kelly - Shorstein & Kelly

Not true

AUTHOR: lindsey - ()

I delt with Brian Kelly in a hospital room and you are not alowed to take medicine 12 hours before you sign papers and you are also cofussed if you think they are anything but professional. They tell you once you sign papers there is no going back and changing your mind that is why they give you a copy of the contract several months before you deliver. Dont spread lies about these men they provide the best care possible

Dear Misleading

AUTHOR: Heather rainbow - (U.S.A.)

Adoptive parents aren't the ones with the rights. The lawyers, agencies, and judges are the ones with the rights.

The unethical adoption agencies and adoption lawyers, who are paid for by the prospective adoptive parents, tend to manipulate both sides. They take financial advantage of prospective adoptive parents, and use pregnant women and mothers to transfer rights to the adoptive parents. Once adoption happens, the natural parents don't have any rights. This is because there aren't typically lawyers who will even take cases, much less take them seriously. Why? Because it is their job and income to steal babies and give them to the highest bidder.

Now, there are good ethical agencies, and good ethical adoptive parents. However, Shorstein & Kelley are not ethical. Neither is Kathleen Stevens, their adoption social worker from Jacksonville Jewish Services.

I did not look into adoption, because I had never planned to do adoption in the first place. I had planned to parent my child. Due to abusive doctors, lawyers, and an agency social worker, I was coerced into surrendering my baby. This was before every person had a cell phone with the internet, and I was In The Hospital room, the day after I gave birth to my daughter, when they came in with their paperwork for me to sign. I didn't have the opportunity to research adoption in my hospital bed. I was still recovering from giving birth. I didn't have any way, for example, to research the claim that I could change my mind and revoke my signature, as the lawyer had stated. Why? Because Florida is a zero revocation period state.

Some helpful guides for ethical prospective adoptive parents:

#3 General Comment

Misleading Review

AUTHOR: JW - (United States of America)

The review above about Shorstein and Kelly, to whom I have no relationship, is very misleading. A pregnant mother or new mother has far more rights than do adoptive parents. The law is clear in this and all other aspects of adoption. The information on adoptions is readily available all over the internet, via free consultations with myriad adoption attorneys, and via adoption agencies. A simple phone call or thirty minutes of effort on learning about the laws regarding adoption would have brought about a different result. By the quality of her writing, one must assume that prior to the birth she would have been intellectually competent and well enough educated to seek out information and make well-informed decisions.

The woman above presents herself as a victim yet she never took the time to look into adoption, learn the details, and learn her rights prior to giving birth. Had she been on the fence about adoption, why wouldn't she put at least a modicum of effort into researching the issues concerning such a big decision? She could simply have said no to adoption.

I am sorry that she feels that she was not treated fairly. But one must question her judgment by the fact that she took no initiative to

AUTHOR: Renee - (U.S.A.)

I also used these attorneys. I too changed my mind and they did not make me feel bad for doing so. They did list reasons for not keeping my baby and they also listed reasons for keeping my baby. They were very kind and helpful.