Complaint Review: Michigan Department Of Human Services

• Submitted: Mon, December 01, 2008
  • Updated: Mon, December 01, 2008

• Reported By:Pontiac Michigan
Michigan Department Of Human Services
Huron St. Pontiac, Michigan U.S.A.

Michigan Department Of Human Services Went for help, was sent to sit at MI works, they said they would pay for CHILDCARE and never did. Been waiting 5 months to pay my daycare lady, for over 100 hours of childcare. Pontiac Michigan

My husband and I were both laid off in the spring of 2008. We went to the DHS for help, they made us go to Michigan Works! for job training, job searching and other unecessary classes, such as writing a cover letter and nutrition, both my husband and I have a college degree, so these classes were useless. We have a son. The days we both sat at the Mich Works! office searching for jobs on their computers, and sitting through useless classes our son had a babysitter, in which the state said that they would pay for while we attended Mich Works!, Job searched, or worked any part time work we could find while searching for Full time. Our babysitter watched our son for well over 100 hours. She NEVER got paid by the state.

I have sent countless letters, and voicemails to the DHS office, I met with my case worker - Donna - at least 3 - 4 times regarding this, and actually caught her in her office by phone 3 or 4 times. She was and still is horrible at returning calls, or doing her job, as she still has not paid my babysitter and it is Dec 1 2008. I have re-submitted the required paperwork and documentation 3 times to her, and to her supervisor Ms. Valentine.

I have no idea what is taking so long, other then lack of caring about their job responsibilities. I am more then ashamed, I cant even ask my trusted - Christian babysitter to watch my son anymore, without being humiliated. She has watched him 2 or 3 times out of the kindness of her heart when I had a job interview or something. I tried to pay her $20 a week when she watched him, but she is owed way more then that, I figured well over $300.00 It is a shame that the state of Michigan can do this to a family (2 families - mine and my babysitters) in these bad economic times.

My husband eventually found a job after about 3 months, and I am working very part time, and can't find anything else. We were released from Mi. works! once my husband found a job. We showed up everyday, went through the classes, submitted the required hours and paperwork, over 3 times and still have not seen a dime. We were also told that we would get about $11 a month in CASH assistance, which was a very low amount, but hey maybe it would have bought toilet paper and soap. We never saw that money either.

We have had a very hard year. I just want to pay my babysitter back and be able to show my face around her. She understands, but also has bills. She just enrolled her kids in private school and needs every dime. Please if anyone can help me, that would be awesome. God Bless you.

Marcie
Pontiac, Michigan

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/01/2008 08:58 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Michigan-Department-Of-Human-Services/Pontiac-Michigan/Michigan-Department-Of-Human-Services-Went-for-help-was-sent-to-sit-at-MI-works-they-sai-396779. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Michigan Department Of Human Services