Complaint Review: MicroMedics

• Reported By: Kelly — Washington District of Columbia United States of America
MicroMedics
999 Forest Edge Drive Vernon Hills, Illinois United States of America

MicroMedics inadequate repair incomplete fradulent Vernon Hills, Illinois

I had gotten an Acer Aspire laptop off of NewEgg in the summer of 2009.  I bought an extended warranty in order to cover myself in case anything came up.  The computer began to get a little wonky not long afterward (by that fall/winter).  The wifi would spontaneously turn on and off.  The volume would go up and down on its own.  It was as if a poltergeist was inside the computer.

I had a techy friend take a look at the computer around new year's of 2010, and he couldn't figure out what was going on.  I knew I had the warranty to fall back on, but I was teaching and didn't want to be without my laptop until the school year was over.

I contacted ServiceNet (the company for the warranty) in June 2010.  They "assigned" me a company for the repair which was MicroMedics.  I got a box from them to send the computer to them with a mailing label, put my laptop in, and sent it off.  (Well, actually I asked my boyfriend to take it to UPS because I was leaving town and didn't have a chance to do it.  He was pokey and didn't take for a few weeks.)  It all seemed to work in a easy, straightforward manner.

Then, MicroMedics contacted me in July to say that I had a cracked screen and that would cost $180 to repair in addition to the other problems which were covered by the warranty.  I said that a cracked screen was NOT a problem when I packed it and mailed it to them.  I tried to have them contact the shipper, but they said the box did not look damaged and so they had to believe it was a problem prior to being sent to them.  I asked them if they had thought this was a problem, did they wonder why I hadn't mentioned it??  I felt like the shipping box they had sent me to use was very flimsy and if things were damaged it was because of the box.  I had (and still have) the original box the computer was sent to me in w/ all the packing material and I told them I would have happily sent them the computer using this.  However, I assumed they had tested their boxes for shipping and things didn't get damaged, otherwise they wouldn't use them.

In the end I paid and got my computer back in September 2010.  Most things seemed to work.  However, I had one white pixel (a dead pixel) on my screen prior to it being sent and that same pixel was still there.  It made me wonder if I had really had a cracked screen to fix or if this was just a scam to make money?

Then, I have had other problems.  The battery looks fully charged, but if the computer is unplugged it will shutdown in about 7 minutes with warnings of no power.  The wifi connection is very fragile and it usually never picks up unsecured wifi networks in public spots like the library, when I am sitting next to others who are connected.  The internal microphone doesn't work.

I have been dragging my feet about doing another repair because I don't want to be without my computer for three months again!  And have to pay for something that wasn't originally a problem!  I just called ServiceNet to start a new claim and they said that MicroMedics will most likely be assigned the repair.  I did a search online and found this site with all these terrible comments on the company.  I am terrified to send the computer off again.  It may come back even worse than it is now.  HELP!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/22/2011 03:32 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/MicroMedics/Vernon-Hills-Illinois-60061/MicroMedics-inadequate-repair-incomplete-fradulent-Vernon-Hills-Illinois-768394. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on MicroMedics