Complaint Review: Micron PC, MPC, MPCcorp

• Submitted: Wed, December 24, 2008
  • Updated: Wed, December 24, 2008

• Reported By:Salvisa Kentucky
Micron PC, MPC, MPCcorp
mpccorp.com North Sioux City, South Dakota U.S.A.

Micron PC, MPC, MPCcorp non-replaceable bios battery, disposable computer North Souix City South Dakota

*Consumer Suggestion: Take it to a local PC repair shop.

Bios battery is NOT replaceable, requiring the purchase of a new computer when it dies after a year or two, says Micron PC Technician!

Some time ago, I purchased a Micron PC Laptop, Model # Transport T3000 from Micron PC. At the time, it was a mid-range or higher computer. For the most part, I was happy with it, however after a few years, the bios battery died. I would get a start-up screen that would require me to reset the time and date before the computer would boot up. If you did not input the correct time and date, it would not access many websites until you did this. Also, every time some of my personal settings would be lost.

I searched throughly through the manual and on-line help to try to find where the bios battery was located so I could replace it. (generally a quick fix, requiring an inexpensive, locally available battery) I also checked out every opening I could open on the computer itself to no avail. Anyway, I finally contacted Micron PC on line with my problem. Below is the gist of my request for help, and following that is their reply:

Message:

my bios battery has died, and I cannot find anything in my paperwork on
how to replace the battery, or where it is located. Cannot find it on the
computer either. . . HELP!

My Reponse from Micron PC:

Thank you for contacting MPC E-Support.

The BIOS battery on these notebooks is not considered user replaceable, that is why you will not find any documentation on it. Because this notebook is Out of Warranty, you can pretty much do whatever you want with it. You can try to replace yourself of we have an option for a billable notebook repair. Doing it yourself is going to be hard. You would have to take the whole thing apart to remove the motherboard. The Battery can be purchased at any Radio Shack usually. The other problem you would face, is that most of these have the battery soldered onto the motherboard. You might be able to de-solder it if you have that kind of experience, but I don't know how hard it would be.

If you choose the Billable repair option, it requires a motherboard replacement and will cost you $445 and you will need to call our support line at 877-8945694 to get that setup.

Good luck!

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Russ K

Email: deleted@hotmail.com
Phone: deleted
Fax:

Shipping Address: (enter street, city, state, zip code)Deleted
Serial Number: MEIRFB376 (last four digets deleted)

System Manufacturer: mpc
System Type: notebook
Operating System: winxppro
Message:

my bios battery has died, and I cannot find anything in my paperwork on

how to replace the battery, or where it is located. Cannot find it on the

computer either. . . HELP!

Back to me again. So basically, I paid top dollar for a "disposable" computer. I called the phone # given above and spoke to a technician who told me that a bios battery cost less than $5.00, but he would not recommend that I attempt to replace it, rather I should purchase a new computer . . . . I am in the process of doing just that, but you can bet it will NOT be a Micron PC.

Fed up
Salvisa, Kentucky

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/24/2008 03:33 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Micron-PC-MPC-MPCcorp/North-Sioux-City-South-Dakota/Micron-PC-MPC-MPCcorp-non-replaceable-bios-battery-disposable-computer-North-Souix-City-404715. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Micron PC, MPC, MPCcorp

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Take it to a local PC repair shop.

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

Many folks, such as myself, have the proper equipment and expertise to desolder the old battery and solder a new battery to the mother board.

And it shouldn't cost you $400.

Be careful though, many so called techs do not know how to solder properly. Look for someone who has had formal microminiature soldering training and can PROVE it. I've had experience repairing multi-layer PCBs. That's the type of experience you're looking for.

Good luck.