Complaint Review: Microsoft Store

• Reported By: DennisD — SAginaw Michigan United States of America
Microsoft Store
1 Microsoft Way Redmond, Washington United States of America

Microsoft Store Microsoft Doing Bad Business Redmond, Washington

When I first saw the Microsoft Surface advertised I went on line to pre-order one for Christmas gift for a family member. I was told this would be a nice gift and would be hard to get in time for Christmas. I am a retiree and do not deal with many electronics retailers. I have an "fashioned computer" and I am not all that good on that either. I mostly use mine for email and/or ordering things from Amazon, JCP, Qvc, and the like.

I called customer service first to make sure I knew what to do. They talked me into purchasing the hundred dollar extra protection plan along with the biggest Surface, the 64GB. At the time I told them this was a going to be for Christmas - they told me there was a place on the order form in which to say so and include a note - which I did. I pre-ordered the surface in October, spending a total of $850.00, and it came soon after. It was then tucked away until Christmas.

At Christmas it was opened and registered with Microsoft. During the next 2 days the recipient called Microsoft repeatedly - could not the apps he needed to download - found out couldn't use the item for use intended.

I called Microsoft on Dec. 27 and was told too bad, so sad, out of luck, couldn't return the item as it was purchased over 30 days ago. I have called them repeatedly trying to make them understand it was not touched before Christmas - they could check the calls we made to their Customer Service, etc. No matter who many times I have contacted them, the answer is always the same, NO.

So not only am I out 850.00 I am also sick at heart to know my family member cannot use this item - it went back in the box and there it sits. I imagine we will have to try and sell it on EBay and take a big hit. What really hits my hot button is the fact that I have dealt with other on line retailers, as I stated above, Amazon and the like, and as long as I am honestly returning an item for a good reason, in new condition, in good faith with a receipt, I have never, ever had a problem with returns. Microsoft says I should have read their return policy - because of what I have just said about never having a problem, it never entered my mind to read the darn thing.

I am upset at the way they do business, sick at heart that the recipient is out a gift, and really angry that I am out all that money as I don't have the money to turn around and buy another tablet or whatever you call it  that will work for my family member.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/11/2013 09:02 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Microsoft-Store/Redmond-Washington-98052/Microsoft-Store-Microsoft-Doing-Bad-Business-Redmond-Washington-995058. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Microsoft Store