Complaint Review: Microsoft Zune

• Submitted: Fri, December 26, 2008
  • Updated: Fri, December 26, 2008

• Reported By:Torrance California
Microsoft Zune
One Microsoft Way Redmond, Washington U.S.A.

Microsoft Zune Refund Refusal - Poor Treatment of PAYING Customers Redmond Washington

*Consumer Comment: Buying DRM music is shakey at best.

Remember the Zune was touted to be a possible "Ipod" killer. Microsoft will never understand the support necessary to accomplish that feat even closely.

I have been a staunch Microsoft supporter until purchasing 2 Zunes since their release. Besides troubleshooting practices that erase content, and deny problems until they are magically fixed in updates (typical Microsoft ) the business side is now in the habit of taking your money and running.

My most recent decent into the depths of Microsofts Zune support and total disregard for fair decency - was to purchase Christmas songs last year. These were Purchased with funds over and above the monthly subscription rates I pay.

This year, while loading the purchased songs, I receive an error telling me that the songs are no longer available. ( This happens as part of an ever changing enviroment with artist and record distributors ) - BUT- these were not subscription songs - these were PURCHASED. I quickly checked my purchase history - No record of the purchase
I checked the subscription history - No record of the download
- EVERYTHING RELATED TO THESE SONGS FROM THE MICROSOFT RECORDS HAD BEEN WIPED OUT - with exception to the protected files I now owned that microsoft wouldn't authorize DRM in order to play / burn.

After talking with support, whom said they understood - I assumed that I'd receive a "credit" for the number of songs that were - "stolen" from me. I call this stealing since I paid for the license with an exchange of money to play and burn the music. The rights had been taken away without notice to me or refund based on what they call a change in relationship.

I talked to managers - whom all say the same thing - " Yes i understand that we are doing this, but NO I can not refund you. " I hear - "Im taking this and you can't do a thing about it! " I am currently writing the leagal department in Redmound WA. I have little confidence in anything remotely fair since my previous run-ins have never seen satisfaction in the ZUNE support.

I have always supported the fair use and payment for software and musical "license". Purchasing legal copies when others laugh. I am beginning to wonder where that loyalty and respect for their products has gotten me.

- By the way - the last spoken words to me from the support staff - "Happy Holidays! " - Oh please!

Torrance, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/26/2008 07:59 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Microsoft-Zune/Redmond-Washington-98052/Microsoft-Zune-Refund-Refusal-Poor-Treatment-of-PAYING-Customers-Redmond-Washington-404935. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Microsoft Zune

Buying DRM music is shakey at best.

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (U.S.A.)

I refuse to buy any music that has DRM protection. When you do, you should be aware that you are really just renting the music. When you buy a CD or a non-DRM music file, you can play it wherever and whenever you want. A DRM protected file is only good as long as the seller's servers maintain your purchase info. Will Microsoft be maintaining your information on these servers ten years from now? I wouldn't bet on it. Look at what happened when Wal-Mart's online music store decided it was too much trouble. Everyone that bought their DRM protected music was out of luck. Bottom line is that access to music that you've purchased is dependent on the seller. Unfortunately, you've found out how well that works out. Switch to a vendor that sell MP3s.